Pillar's 4mm workbench

Hi all,

I've been floating around here for a while now admiring people's work. I figured its about time I shared some of my own.

Most of these are Cambrian kits I've had ongoing for some time. The Turbots and the Dogfish should get painted up in Dutch soon.

X004.jpg

X011.jpg

Cambrian Whale kit nearing completion - there really don't seem to be many of these around. Still needs handwheels and canopy at the far end.

X014.jpg

X015.jpg

X017.jpg

X018.jpg

X022.jpg

X023.jpg

Cambrian Dogfish. The first one of these I tried was a nightmare and will probably end up as a patch up job. This is my second one however, and once you've made sense of the vague instructions its a nice kit.

X028.jpg

X029.jpg

X033.jpg

Cambrian Turbot.

X035.jpg

X036.jpg

Parkside 21 tonner.

X039.jpg

X041.jpg

Chivers MDV.

Comments welcome.

Liam

Hello Liam, nice job on the departmental wagons.

How did you find the "Whale" to build? I have one to do, but it's down the list a bit, with some Salmons, another Turbot and a Dapol Crane first. Also, How did you mask the join for the Yellow stripe on the Whale? You've got it very crisp round the ribs.

Top photos, can't wait to see more.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

The Whale's a nice kit, it goes together pretty logically and once the basic structure is together its nice and strong. The main issues are getting the details right for the ends which aren't symmetrical - the instructions are very vague. It also benefits from etched handwheels and a few other details. I've got another three to do at the moment, two of those I havent started.

As for the stripe, that was a real pain! The way I did it in the end was to make a mask out of plasticard and tape it in place. Essentially its a long strip the width of the yellow stripe made to fit over the ribs. The seal isn't as good as masking tape, but its a hell of alot easier to get something like a straight line. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance.

Liam

Thanks for the gen, Liam. Always helpful to hear the pitfalls to avoid when building a new kit.

I think i'll try your method of masking for the Turbot sides, i'm painting the first one as it would have been fresh from the works and i'll probably distress the others a little and weather them a bit. Would Maskol or blu-tak help with sealing the joint?

Who's buffers did you use on the Turbot?

Cheers, Andy.

I use blu-tac to hold the mask on but I'm not sure about sealing it. Maskol might be worth a try through.

All the buffers are short Oleos from 51L models. The ones on the Whale and Dogfish are 13" and the Turbot ones are 18". They're sprung and work nicely, but the cast part is a pain to drill out.

Liam

The painting is underway for the first Turbot and I've used the same mask technique here. It's a bit more elaborate than the whale since there are smaller gaps to fill but the overall method is the same.

W001.jpg

W005.jpg

Two coats of grey on so far - hopefully this one will be done in a day or two ;)

Liam

• 1 month later...

It's taken a bit longer than I thought. Here's a few shots of recent progress with some of these kits. Apologies for the quality of some of the photos;

Cambrian Whales x2 (one more also shaping up nicely);

Z061.jpg

Z062.jpg

Z066.jpg

Cambrian Turbot;

Z071.jpg

Z072.jpg

Chivers Lamprey;

Z074.jpg

Comments welcome.

Liam

Your plasticard mask for the Turbot seems to have worked very nicely. I've got two of those hanging around waiting for paint, mostly because the masking job fitted into the 'too difficult' box. I'm going to give your method a try.

Archived