Cardiff General Approach Gradients

Pixie

Evening all,

I'm sure this is an easy one if you have the right book, but sadly I'm not so lucky!

Can anyone tell me what the gradient of the South Wales mainline is as it enters into Cardiff General/Central from the London direction? Similarly can anyone tell me what the gradient is of the Valley lines as they gain height to sweep over the SWML? They've both always seemed to be fairly steep when I've gone over them, but I wonder if it's an illusion caused by one dropping and the other gaining height similtaneously.

Boomshanka,

Pix

Pixie,

I have had a quick look at a 1960 Sectional Appendix in the gradients steeper than 1 in 200 section and it shows sections of 1 in 83/46/95 between Queen Street South and Cardiff General East which total 20 chains or a quarter of a mile out of approx threequarters of a mile between the two points.

Between Newtown West and Cardiff East there is shown 9 chains of 1 in 80 falling towards Newtown East.

A 1970 WTT showed Cardiff General to Queen Street as 1 in 92 which I think may be some form of average.

I agree the perspectives when you look from the platform at Central make the grades look severe.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got any official information for the SWML but the 1950 Sectional Appendix for the Cardiff Valleys section gives the following for the line between Queen St and the General -

5 chains falling at 1 in 83,

3 chains falling at 1 in 46,

On the other side of the summit (which I suspect is the bridge over the SWML or thereabouts) there was 12 chains falling at 1 in 95 towards Queen St.

These are only the gradients which are steeper than 1 in 200, anything shallower than that is not included in the Sectional Appendices. The Ian Allan book shows the SWML falling towards Newport at 1 in 47 for a short distance. I wonder what will happen when the SWML is electrified?

Thanks for the replies gents - much appreciated. B) That photo of Brian's really make the Valley lines look like a comparative ski jump..!

I've no doubt if you incorporated something similar on a layout, one or two 'purists' would most likely scoff !

Brian R

Archived