Encouragement For The Less Skilled

• RMweb Premium

I have only been back in the world of modelling for a year or so, following a 25+ year lay off.

Sadly in between, I left a fair bit of patience and dexterity behind in Helmand.

I just thought that I would encourage anyone doubtful of their basic skills, to go further and attempt something a bit harder than repaints and the application of HMRS decals. Once I had got the hang of this again, I built a couple of Parkside kits (BLOATER and PYTHON).

I was daunted by posts from the guys who build complete brass kits, and scratchbuild.

I discovered the Betta Bits coach side kits and I am very pleased so far. I encourage anyone who hasn't tried one, to do so, based on a cheap Ebay LNER clerestory (buy the composite non brake ones - they are easier to cut about). the sides are detailed brass etched panels which are super glued on, and kits include a while load of detailed stuff. No need to learn to solder.

LNER versions of the Triang/Hornby clerestories sell for less than the others.

Don't worry about your period of modelling - you can either run your end result as regular coaching stock, tool van for an engineering train, or even a grounded van. Instead of having just third/brakes or composites, you can add restaurants, other passenger stock and even a full brake which I what I am building.

The only thing that the otherwise brilliant instructions lack is better direction on where to cut the roof and body - most of the kits require you to shorten a clerestory. I would advise that you cut the roof into 1/3 and 2/3 and remove the excess from the longer piece, and the same for the chassis/sides. When you cut - cut 1mm short and file down to the correct length.

When you put it together, turn the roof around so that the join in the 2 pieces isn't directly above the joint in the sides/chassis. Less chance of body and chassis flex - especially if you glue the roof onto the finished article once it is painted.

If I knew how to upload photos I would. (Can someone direct me please?)

Anyway - don't be scared to take up the challenge. A couple of £ for a Hornby/Triang LNER coach and about £10 for a high quality brass kit (new sides and detail parts). If I am managing, I'm sure you can too.

I have a couple of photos of one in progress here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28388-adrians-coach-works/

I have, I think, examples of all of the ex-Bettabitz sides now available from 247 Developments and only the L10 seems to need a shortened body.

I also find that the Hornby GWR clerestories are the most available/cheapest - at least over here.

Adrian

Archived