Ebay special

5hort5

Well, it begins. Maybe a bit of scene setting first though. My train history is kind of limited. I used to love my train set when I was younger, my dad made me a OO loop with two sidings for Christmas and my mum made a great paper mache tunnel and I thought it was wonderful. It was a Hornby class 22 with about three wagons, two of which were american box cars. At some point in my youth my great uncle Bill died and left me a number of locos and carriages in OO and they have remained in the attic of a number of house for a lot of years and I have been wanting to get them out for a long time. Well now with a family of three kids and a dinning room table I thought now was the time but after a bit of look and a bit of playing I just don't have the room so they have returned to the attic for another year (or decade). One of them is a rather nice limited edition stephenson's rocket one of these but this will have to wait for more space.

I have instead turned my attention to an N Gauge layout for both me and one of my daughters as she loves her trains. Basically I'm trying to build a layout for her to run some trains but as with these things for me as well to build some scale models and try and make a nice scene. I'm not the greatest at reading manuals so this is probably going to be trial and error and a bit more error thrown in for good measure but I thought I'd post it up for all you experts to say "ooooo, I wouldn't have done that" :-)

So why is the title Ebay special? Pretty simple really, everything that I have n-gauge so far is either from ebay or it's second hand from a model shop. I think this will change as I buy scenery and other such items but all of the locos, controllers and track I have is used. The only exception to this is the 6x3 6mm board that I just put together today as this came from BnQ. I'm trying to make something nice but on the cheap, well at least a half of list price if I can.

THE MASTER PLAN: Erm, well, there's kind of one, ish. I have never tried anything like this before! I would like to build a double scene, town and country, it's not a specific place but I'd like to have one side like a south west station and the other side like an industrial landscape of mills and factories in the era of BR Diesels from start to end although I not getting hung up on era as I just want to run the trains I want to run, which is pretty much anything. The electrics are going to be to power the trains only to start with, manual points, no DCC, as simple as I can get. I just can't get an answer I understand on electrics so I'll just plug it in and see how I go (probably in a puff of smoke). Seriously though I just would like the trains to run in their loops and be able to move them in and out of sidings and maybe a bit of a fiddle yard. I must confess I didn't know the term fiddle yard existed let alone what it was until two days ago.

I think I'm going to take bits of a Peco design and some part of Madog's design and see what I come up with. Anyway I got some bits out today to see what fitted and what more I may need. There are a few pictures below of what I have been playing with but this is no real view of what it maybe.

Feel free to suggest anything or point out any obvious errors, all help will be appreciated in this.

Many Thanks

Si

post-12247-0-46490000-1307833585_thumb.jpg

post-12247-0-79387700-1307833594_thumb.jpg

post-12247-0-11839300-1307833868_thumb.jpg

Archived