Tramway Catenary

JZjr

Hello,

Just joined the 'Trams & Tramway Modelling Group' as I am in the planning stage of a small tramway layout for the 2011 RMweb & Model Rail challenge. The diorama/small layout is based in 2011 and will be modeled in N gauge. I have found a non-motorized Kato tram on eBay for just short of £20.

I am now wondering how to do the catenary, a few questions:

Are there any ready to use modern tram catenary systems?

Would it be better to use these or to scratch build?

Thanks in advanced. biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard Fred!

It really depends which system you are basing it on and what type of setting it is... For example in the city centre areas Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham all use a lot of span wires either fixed to buildings or on simple poles. at the outer parts of the systems, Sheffield and the Eccles line of Metrolink mostly use a simple lightweight centre pole and span arm construction, whereas the Altringham line of Metrolink has in places some quite substantial latice work portal frames.

As for what is available, both the main Japanese manufacturers (Tomix and Kato) have a range of plastic overhead components ready to plant, but are quite ornate and not realy representative of any UK systems.

The alternative is to look at the N-Brass kit range - while intended for main line use the simpler Bridge/Tunnel or Yard/Shed supports may be suitable.

Paul

I have been looking at the Eccles line of the Metrolink for inspiration. The diorama I am planning is a suburban terminus. Part of the diorama is double track in a four lane road before converging in to single track off of the road.

Thanks.

The diorama I am planning is a suburban terminus. Part of the diorama is double track in a four lane road before converging in to single track off of the road.

As Mickey said look at Sheffield on Google Earth: the Herdings Park branch fits your plan very nicely. Double track in a wide road, swinging off the road and converging to single line for about 1/3 mile cross country run to the single platform terminus.

Catenary on the double line section is all round centre poles with span arms, side poles with a single arm on the single line section. Should be a fairly easy scratchbuild maybe using the N-brass arms on brass tube poles.

Archived