Nebulous idea

BobD

I have no experience with putting on an exhibition, but we have an anniversay for our no longer existing railway to Hunstanton coming up next year. Opened in 1862, closed 1969.

I got to thinking it may be an idea to celebrate it with a model railway event.

Just wondering what people think of Hunstanton as a destination for an exhibition.

We have a wonderful beach. We are on the East Coast with sunsets over the sea.

There are a large number of car parks and a good fast bus service from King's Lynn (14 miles). King's Lynn has links to the rail network via Ely.

I would be interested to hear from potential exhibitors and traders, who would be interested in coming to our town.

The date has yet to be determined,

Hi Bob,

There isn't exactly a shortage of well established model railway shows you would be best not to clash with (though admittedly Norfolk is a bit thin on shows compared to most other areas) but as a one off, for a specific aniversary then it could work. Given that plus Hunstanton's location and seasonal trade, a date in the normally quiet (for railway exhibitions) summer period may be best suited, in availability of both exhibitors and joe public. Alternatively you could time it to coincide with an event at one of the nearby railways eg. Bure Valley; North Norfolk Railway; Mid Norfolk Railway; Wells and Walsingham Light Railway...

As it is to mark a specific aniversary, are you thinking of a theme to the layouts such as local (Great Eastern?) prototypes or seaside railways?

As an exhibitor, it would obviously depend on the dates, but provided there is no clash with prior commitments, I can think of a few layouts from the Club that could be suited.

As a paying visitor, it is a long trek but the sort of thing that could be made worthwhile by combining with visting other atractions in the area, such as the railways above.

Paul

If we do go ahead with this, there will be some other things taking place in town at the same town. The concept will be to have a town wide celebration, of which an exhibition would be just one part.

We have a planning meeting in a couple of weeks, so I am information gathering. The committee may not like the idea, but dates are not likely to be known until that meeting.

Archived