Dapol 45XX won't run

WindyHale76

Hi there, I've recently purchased a N gauge Dapol 45xx from eBay, which was unknown if it worked.

Well to cut a long story short i open the cab roof and found it wired for DCC with a 6 pin chip installed but no address and the chip has no markers name or details on it.

I plugged it in to work and no power from, but when power was applied to the motor it worked. I also checked the pickup and they work ,but as soon as the pickups are connected to the chip there no power to the motor. I wondered is there any solution or will I have to re wire and remove the chip.

Is the implication here that you want to run the loco on DC? If so removing the decoder and directly connecting the pick ups to the motor terminals will be the quick fix. Otherwise it is a case of finding someone with a DCC system to interrogate the decoder and determine whether it is functioning, and (quite possible) whether the DC capability has been switched off by the previous owner.

Thank you for the reply, still undecided if I will use DC or DDC. But hopefully getting the chip read on Thursday and depending how that goes will edge me either way. Currently got a EZ command system ready for me to try.

Two comments....

1 - applying power to motor. I hope you disconnected the chip first, because otherwise you may have toasted the chip.

2 - Bachmann EZ, bad idea with N gauge. The track voltage is way too high, another way to toast chips and motors. If you want to use an EZ with N gauge, you need a transformer putting out around 11V AC (the EZ needs AC), not the one supplied.

• RMweb Gold

Was the chip covered in blue insulation? If it is, it could be the Bachmann 6 pin chip. If so I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't support DC at all. I've used that chip but never tried to see what happens with DC.

Edit Rather than rely on my faulty memory I've just found a Bachmann 6 pin instruction leaflet and it does suggest that it does support DC and DCC operation. The printed information sheet (with the appropriate CV 29 info) differs from the pdf on the web where those details are absent.

Another Edit

I've just found out where I read the Bachmann 6 pin decoder not supporting DC!

Hattons (see product description)

Archived