Tour Bus - in a manner of speaking

Ragtag

An idea I've had percolating for quite a while now is to develop some sort of tour bus for my Kielder layout. Given the proximity of the layout's supposed location to the reservoir, I've decided to go for a vehicle based on the DUKW tourist conversions:

post-6758-0-61265300-1308224944_thumb.jpg

I've gone for a slightly different design, using the Airfix kit as a starting point building the rest up from plasticard. Still plenty to do, but it's starting to get there.

post-6758-0-32167600-1308225007_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-42485200-1308225010_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-87787400-1308225012_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to watching this. I started work on one of these a while ago, but like so many things, it's been shelved.

One thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago, in Greenwich, is that there are modern replicas about. I spotted one which looked a bit "wrong", and although it looked superficially like a DUKW, it seemed to be a bit wider than the original. Most notably it had water jet propulsion rather than a prop, and generally looked just too new to be original.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I did a bit of googling and found this company as the builders, dukw. The one I saw was probably operated by meridian ducks, who operate around Greenwich.

It's not quite clear whether they use anything original. There is a comment "based on the original chassis", but that might just be dimensionally.

If you want any pics I'll try to get some.

Dave

Archived