Hornby Setrack History

dave flint

• RMweb Premium

Before Series 3 was Standard (grey plastic, raised roadbed) and the original (I don't think I've ever seen any; this matched the loop and hook non-automatic couplings and the roller pickup Princess).

No recollection of #5.

According to The History of Rovex Vol 2, a track investigation group was set up in 1968. They examined the track ranges from 27 different manufacturers and then tested them at Margate to establish interchangeability. They found the that the dimensions of heavy Tri-ang Rovex wheels were not compatible with other makes and design changes were inevitable.

They found that Hornby wheels would run on Super 4 track and those of many of the competitors and the decision was made to adopt Hornby spec wheels on future products. It was originally proposed that Series 5 track should look like Atlas Snap Track, but with a slightly different specification to accept wheels from Wrenn, Graham Farish and others. They determined the flat bottom rail used by Peco and Welkut would be most suitable.

At some stage the name of the track system was changed from Series 5 to System 6 and it went on sale in mid February 1970.

Yes, I think I've still got a couple of those rattling around somewhere, must've bought 'em about '78 I reckon.

EDIT: a quick trawl of Ebay produces the Technicolour version:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Track-R-613-Right-Hand-Point-/120738248550?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c1c8f7766

British made then as it has the half depth end sleepers

Archived