Heavy Metal; Steelworks Rolling Stock in 4mm

Just found this thread!

In my working days, I had occasion to visit Steel Mills and the Photos above are very evocative.

The hot ingots en-route to the Soaking Pits .... beautiful !! One could almost feel the heat. Clever use of colour, and the slightly cooler corners of the ingots so typical of the real thing!

How is the hot interior of the Hot Metal Cars represented? Painted? or an LED ?

Is the extended / new layout in progress yet?

I suspect that you spent a large proportion of your working life within the Steell Mill environment? As a customer, I just wanted the best quality steel !! I regret that I never took a camera !

I've just encountered this thread.

Great work!

I presume you have arrived at a solution regarding corrugated sheets, Arthur.

Thanks for that, the only conclusion I've come to regarding the various corrugated sheets is that there is no single solution, Wills have their uses but overall Slaters is the more versatile, you just have to work on highlighting the individual panels.

Just found this thread!

In my working days, I had occasion to visit Steel Mills and the Photos above are very evocative.

The hot ingots en-route to the Soaking Pits .... beautiful !! One could almost feel the heat. Clever use of colour, and the slightly cooler corners of the ingots so typical of the real thing!

How is the hot interior of the Hot Metal Cars represented? Painted? or an LED ?

Is the extended / new layout in progress yet?

I suspect that you spent a large proportion of your working life within the Steel Mill environment? As a customer, I just wanted the best quality steel !! I regret that I never took a camera !

Thanks Don, if the models evoke some memories then I guess I've got something right!

All the 'hot' effects are achieved with paint, no LED's or lighting. I outlined the method earlier in the thread, it's just a yellow paint base coat with a fluorescent orange worked on top. The 'cold' corners are gunmetal 'metalcote'.

You're partly right, I did work in a couple of steel works, Irlam & Shotton, but only briefly, just left a lasting impression! I worked in the soaking pits at Irlam, so if the ingots look right, well, I saw plenty of them.

Which works did you visit? I might have some photos.

Arthur

Archived