Heljan Class 27 running fault

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I have a brand new HJ 27 which has a strange fault. The initial test on rollers saw the loco run fine for a good 30 minutes at a slow speed in either direction, when I increased the speed the loco ran for 2 or 3 mins and the gradually slowed to a stop and I had to turn the power off for a few mins before it would restart.

I turned the loco upside-down and connected power to the pick ups and ran the loco through all speed ranges in both directions for about 90 mins with no probs at all.

When I put the loco back on the rollers, it ran no probs at different speeds both directions for 20 mins then it started showing the same symptoms as before.

On my test track I was getting the same results. I use a Hornby trainset controller for testing.

I'm thoroughly baffled! Can anyone suggest a fix rather than returning for a replacement?

TIA

Guest Max Stafford

That's a weird one Joe. It sounds like it's experiencing some form of drag under load. I'd start by checking the bearings in the transmission towers in case something's not properly in place. Also check that there's nothing physically fouling the motor or drive shafts. Additionally, make sure the motor's seated correctly. That's the basic stuff I check. Others on here will know more, so stay tuned!

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Hi Dave

Thanks for your replies. After I'd posted and the sunday morning haze disappeared I though about trying my other 27 which has a chip in it and was running happy as a pig in the proverbial round the club layout under DC on thursday night, I got the same result as the new one, after a few mins the loco slowed and stopped on the rollers. The new one doesnt have a chip in it so I think I'll dig out the NCE and put a chip in the new one and see how it performs.

Maybe the HJ current draw is a bit much for the controller Im using as it currently has a Bach 9F trundling away on the rollers very happily?

Heljan locos do have a higher current draw than most. I am not sure of the loading available from a Hornby trainset controller would cope. I run my analogue 33s on a Gaugemaster system that puts out about 1amp or so and they are fine.

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Quick update on this. I chipped the new 27 and ran it with my NCE PowerCab, works a treat so im guess the current draw was too much for the trainset controller. Strangely though, my HJ 15 & 17 run no probs on it, Im guessing they need less amps to get them going.

Archived