US Road Signs

I would imagine these days it really means bitumen since I don't think there's too many jurisdictions where oil is used on dirt roads. In the past used crankcase oil and various kinds of industrial lubricants laced with some very nasty stuff were sprayed liberally on dirt roads in the summer to keep down the dust.

On secondary roads it was common to spray tar or oil on the road and then sprinkle chat or very fine gravel on the road surface, thus the need for both the oil and gravel signs (which would be removed after a few weeks). They also sprayed oil on dirt roads to keep down the dust.

Dave H.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice the battery of route signs at the intersection. Blair Line has these for many states (this is Ohio). Peter North incorporates this kind of thing on his layout to very good effect.post-8839-0-37604200-1308758411_thumb.jpg

Such a common sight anywhere in the US. A minor nit to pick - that's not Ohio. It's New York.

http://www.routemarkers.com/states/ shows the various state route shield styles; http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/ gives a summary. The appropriate style of road sign really helps place a layout; a friend here used Ohio markers on his modules.

Sedona is an amazing site, geographically - and the back road from Flagstaff (which descends about 3,000 feet in a milelaugh1.gif - seems like) is incredible. Truly like a movie set rather than a real place. Mind you the locals are very into "vibes", maan and not the musical Lionel Hampton sort.

I'm still playing with the idea of setting a grimy, urban layout in Sedona - just to upset the smug population (you know, the strip club scene, Jack we spoke of a year ago....)

Craig, I get confused by the number of Route 66's around the 'States - I came across one near Greensboro Airport NC. Presumable that is a "State Route" but the shield logo looked like the old Chicago to LA one....

Btw does everyone realize that the first recording of the song "Route 66" was by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946.......................

Best, Pete.

Ho. ho. There's certainly some spectacular crumpet there.....

Btw there is no truth in the rumor that that is my weekend retreat (the house with the Observatory, probably Brian Cox's........) in my first photo.

Best, Pete.

Craig, I get confused by the number of Route 66's around the 'States - I came across one near Greensboro Airport NC. Presumable that is a "State Route" but the shield logo looked like the old Chicago to LA one....

Yes, the 66 near Greensboro is a North Carolina state route as indicated by the diamond shaped route marker that NC uses

North Carolina route marker http://www.state-ends.com/ncends/state/66.html

US Highway route marker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66 if it existed today...it's no longer an official US route.

The 'shield' that the US routes use is standard across the US; same for the red/white/blue interstate shields. But each state has its own style of route marker. Granted some share the same shape (the circle by Iowa, Kentucky, New Jersey, Delaware; diamond by NC and Michigan) but most are pretty unique. Consider this photo taken in West Virginia which has the state route WV 66 junction with WV 55 and US 219 http://www.state-ends.com/wvends/66.html . That sort of detail would really place the model's geographic location.

Keeping in mind the enthusiasm here for Mindheim's Florida modeling, I will note that many years ago Florida had a habit of color coding their various US route signs...

Pete, state and US Route 66 numbering is confusing. A US highway with the shield was numbered according to a US scheme, even numbers being east-west, odd numbers north-south. Specific routes got specific numbers for various reasons -- often chambers of commerce, etc along the way would lobby for a US funded route in the first place and a memorable number in the second place. US 66 got its number as a good mnemonic. The actual US 66 extended from Chicago to the Pacific at Santa Monica (west of Los Angeles) roughly parallel to the present Santa Fe/BNSF route through Amarillo. The actual routing changed over the years, for whatever that's worth. US funding for US 66 stopped sometime after the Interstate network was completed in the 1970s. After that time, some parts were abandoned entirely, and others were taken over by the states, with state route numbers and indicator signs. In California, some parts have "Historic Route 66" markers. However, references to any state route 66 in states other than Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California would be in the context of the individual state's highway numbering system and would have no relation to former US 66. For modeling purposes, you'd probably see a US Route 66 marker only along a small number of railroads, primarily the Santa Fe, with occasional other routes like the GM&O and Rock Island thrown in.

Archived