New Firmware for ECoSControl Radio

ESU have announced a new version, 1.2 of the firmware for the ECoSControl Radio, and have released new versions of the manual to go with it. This is the first update that has been available for the Control Radio since it first went on sale.

The changes are, according to the release notes:

BUGFIX: Operation of multiple bases improved

BUGFIX: Speedstep 1 in Mode km/h always displayed as 1 km/h

BUGFIX: Routes are not always updateded correctly

ADD: Loco control: Joystick behaviour (configurable)

ADD: New signal types

ADD: Accessory items: Direct address entry

ADD: Matching of speed + functions with active "Allow takeover of locos by other controllers"

The instructions (german only so far) on how to do it are here, under the topic heading "e kann ich ein Software-Update auf dem ECoSControl Radio durchführen." It would seem to be a 2 stage process where you first update the receiver module that is installed in the ECoS and then the handset itself. BUT you must have a Lokprogrammer to do the update.

With Google Translate's help, here's my translation. The words in brackets are my own, not my attempt at translation:

The current (i.e. latest) ECoSControl radio firmware can be found in the download section. The update is only possible with the Microsoft Windows operating system.

To update the ECoSControl Radio, you need a LokProgrammer and a cable with a 2-pin 2.54 mm connector and a connector for the LokProgrammer (the plug supplied with the Lokprogrammer or a mini banana plug).

Unzip the downloaded zip file and install the update tool. Run the update tool with Start-> Programs-> ESU ECoSControl radio firmware update XY, where XY indicates the current firmware version.

First uninstall the receiver module from the Central Station or ECoS from Reloaded. (I suggest that you disconnect the ECoS or CS1 trom the track outputs and the power supply, and remove the batteries as well before doing this.) Then connect the Lokprogrammer to the 2-pin connector on the receiver module motherboard (My receiver was a very tight fit to get it installed in my ECoS 2 in the first place so I haven't taken the cover off mine to check yet. ESU seem to show the receiver module sitting in the cover to the ECoSSlot bay, a good idea as it stops it coming into contact with any stray bits of wire during the update.)

Follow the instructions on the screen.

After the receiver module has been updated, disconnect the wires from it and connect them to the 2-pin connector in the left hand battery compartment of the handset. (You will need to take off the cover to the battery compartment, and I'd remove the batteries as well from both compartments the handset. With the cover removed there shouldn't be any current flowing, but I'd personally prefer to be safe rather than sorry.)

Then do the remaining steps in the update tool.

(Reinstall the receiver module in the ECoS or CS1, refit the batteries, watch the polarity, and reconnect the track outputs and power input to the ECoS/CS1. Disconnect the wires from the Lokprogrammer and from the handset. Put the batteries back in the handset, again watch the polarity, and refit the battery compartment covers.)

Warning: Receiver Module and handhelds can only be operated together with the same software versions. (So if you have more than one handset you will need to update each of them in turn.)

My Warning: If you do follow these instructions, you do so entirely at your own risk.

Good Luck.

I will not be updating mine, at least not for a while, as I have still to buy a Lokprogrammer.

This only applies to users of the ECoScontrol Radio, it looks like this, with the words ECOSControl above the Screen.

If you own an ECoS or CS1 but haven't got ECoSControl Radio then you can ignore all this.

Equally it does not apply to Bachmann Dynamis nor to ESU Navigator. Those are totally separate systems, and as far as I know there are no updates for their respective operating systems/firmwares.

Also

Keith.

ESU have made a bit of a hash of it. The links, both german and english, that they originally published for the updated manuals downloaded the first edition of the manuals, not the second editions. The link that they gave in the english language part of the forum for the download instructions was to the german FAQ page, not the english one. It all looks like a rushed job, sadly, not what I expect from them.

I don't know why they haven't included the update methodology in the manual, unless it is only temporary. They did get some stick for not making the Control Radio upgrades possible via the ECoS when the Control Radio was launched.

Yes, it is a bit strange and it does force you to buy the Lok Programmer to do it or you will have to send the units off to have it done for you.

This is the same procedure as the original ESU Mobile Radio Handset, very antiquated.

Wont be rushing to do this until I hear it works. Seems odd in some ways that if you look at the old set up for the old mobile version, you had to power the hand set and the radio module for the upgrade to work. The new version does not it seems, whats changed? Does it get its power from the programmer.

TTG

Decided to do mine and see what would happen. Easy, hardest part getting the battery cover off the hand held unit.

What it did, the joystick does seem more responsive which helps with sound equipped locos as it allows a high speed step to be selected and then backed off giving a 'thrash' effect on moving off. Well it did on my O gauge 47 with a Lok Sound V3.5 XL. It gave the turbo chance to cut in and then back off to what ever speed step you want to set.

As for the other new features, not had chance to play yet to find out. But a reference to firmware not yet released for the ECoS is talked about on the ESU forum that will allow some of the add features to work. Will keep an eye open for news on this but with the big show coming up in the States, it could be a while yet as ESU are there.

TTG

Archived