Glasgow and Southwestern

Matador

Guest stuartp

David Cross "On Glasgow and South Western Lines" (Ian Allen, colour), and Derek Cross "London Midland Steam North of the Border" (Bradford Barton, out of print, b&w) mostly comprise photos from the south-west triangle ncluding a few ex-CR routes. Both are largely Derek's photos, son David edited the former book after Derek's death. Many of the Stenlake Publishing booklets feature G&SW lines too.

Two more in which the G&SW appears as an accompaniment to lesser routes (both out of print) are "Steam in Scotland Volume 1" - Derek Cross and WJV Anderson and "Roaming the Scottish Rails" - Derek Cross (both Ian Allen).

There are plenty more in which the G&SW makes an appearance to a greater or a lesser extent, and as you've probably guessed pretty much anything by Derek Cross will have some G&SW content !

Unfortunately, if you mean ex-G&SWR locos as opposed to routes, you're out of luck. The LMS culled the lot (bar one I think) before nationalisation.

• RMweb Premium

I'd go with the late Derek Cross - in fact I was with him on occasion when he took some of his photos - I was just a kid when I visited Ayr on a tip off that an A3 was booked on a local service to GIrvan - indeed it was, and I was there with my little Kodak camera, and I took a photo of this loco sitting next to a Swindon DMU, and was berated by a gentleman with a much more expensive set of kit, who disappeared lineside to photograph the A3's departure - my photo went in the bin - his in "The Last Years of Scottish Steam". That's a cracking book too BTW.

Stewart

Archived