Another Kadee Question

I am in the process of changing all of my rolling stock over to Kadee's.

So far I have completed the easy NEM couplings, and have dealt with the moulded couplings as well.

I am now on to the wagons that have the clip in coupling, which aren't the NEM type.

I wondered if anyone had been able to retain the coupling box and installed a Kadee. I thought that I might be able to use a Whisker coupling, as I have found that you can actually unclip the underside of the coupling box, and can place the kadee tail over the round pin, which is where the tail of the original coupling clips over, then replace the lid.

The problem is that even with a cranked Kadee, it is still quite low.

Any ideas would be very welcome, as the only alternative is to chop the whole box out.

Thanks

Mark

Sounds like you may be converting Dapol wagons - personally I just cut off the mounting and fit a number 5 suitably shimmed with plasticard to the correct height. I have done this with a rake of Dapol PO wagons that I run on my shunting puzzle and they work very well.

Guest 40-something

Hi Mark

I've just fitted Kadee's to an ex-Airfix LMS design brake van, I chopped the mounding off, sanded smooth and shimmed a no.5 to the right height. To me it is by far the easiest method.

I've just fitted Kadee's to an ex-Airfix LMS design brake van, I chopped the mounding off, sanded smooth and shimmed a no.5 to the right height. To me it is by far the easiest method.

I'd agree, I've done quite a few asorted items of rolling stock using this method, It works with a variety of manufacturers stock and is relatively quick, easy and reliable.

Thanks everyone,

I was just trying to be lazy really, to see if I could use the existing mount, and avoid having to cut it off.

I have actually cut some plasticard to 7mm wide, drilled a 2mm hole in it, and fitted it to the existing fitting. The problem is that even using a short coupling, it ends up way past the buffer faces, if I bolt it on.

One alternative I have come up with is to chop the end off the Kadee, and to araldite it to the plasticard. Ends up being more work than if I just cut the mounting back on the wagon!

All the best.

Mark

Archived