The Brewery

bobslob

Hi all... I would like any comments suggestions on a new 7mm project i am in the planing stage of, my old 7mm layout which got out of hand size wise, will be shorty broke up. The boards will be 41" x 24" and 7" deep , made with 6mm ply side and 9mm ply ends, open topped. two boards will be bolted together when not in use, facing each other to protect the trackwork etc, all buildings and structures and backscene will be made removable. so a totally portable layout. The size also means that two boards bolted together will fit quite nicely in the boot of my car, handy for taking down the club etc. The idea is a quayside , with some bonded warehouse and storage, plenty of shunting , period 1950's early 60's...

7mmQuayside-1.jpg">

factorynewdoubleslip3test3way2.jpg

I think i prefer this one.

I am assuming that it is a swinging traverser in the bonded warehouse?

So trains can enter into either grey road even though looks like one goes through a wall?

What is the meaning behind the words storage in red and cassette in grey?

I assume that the operating position is from the control panel so this is intended to be exhibited?

From the track layout with 3-way and double slip turnouts, I really hope you intend to make your own track as that would look fabulous!

Please post photos of progress. yes.gif

I definitly prefer the second of your track plans as it avoids the double kick back into the warehousing at the rear.

It certainly looks good and I look forward to following this one, so i'll second Ian's call for some progress pics when you have them. :yes:

All the track is going to C&L timber tracks, the storage track in just that, so that you can store locos/wagons from the traverser, the cassette is something that i am still considering, and may well not get added to much later. I am going to make up some card models of the boards over the next weeks, at 1/2 scale, so i can see how it all looks, and hopefully iron out any probs, before the proper build starts. Upper most is getting the boards right, so that they join together.. The track going into the wall (bonded warehouse) is going to be through and large entrance, the track above will be access to the local network, still unsure of region, prob western as i have my old stock to use.

• RMweb Gold

From experience with a shunting layout I built and exhibited. It is nice if you can make run round moves on the layout. You state that the traverser is access via the main line in and out and a road into a warehouse. Therefore to run road a rake of wagons the loco could run out on the main and return via the bonded warehouse road? That sounds a bit unrealistic to me. Having sidings facing in both directions makes for interesting shunting moves but you do need to have a means of running round and should need to do quite a bit of it which will tie up your traverser. I know you could use two locos but I bet you end up with both on the wrong side sometimes. In 50's/60's short run arounds were common in shunting yards.

Don

Hi I'm interested in watching your layout progress, as I'm building an 'O' gauge layout at our club which is 16' long scenic plus 6' fiddleyard. How are you going to power yours DC or DCC, I'm wiring mine so it can be ran either with section break switches.

Nigel B)

• 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering with the track plan, have started to make the boards, will post some pictures in the week.

Made a alteration on board size, as two boards need to fit into the boot of my focus, so slimed them down to 40" x21". which is also a nice easy size to move around, have made to boards up all ready, they fit nicely in said boot :)..

Should have the other two made up this week, for the time being i will be using separate trestles, but once the boards are finished, will be looking into putting folding legs on the boards.

%3ca%20href=Quay_side__rev_A2.jpg">

• 4 weeks later...

Have finally made a decision on my plan, dropped the quayside idea, as i dont have enough board width to do it justice, the boards are all made, and i am in the process of laying the cork..

Ignore the tree, messed up cropping the plan ! :rolleyes:

<a%20href=Quay_side__rev_A21.jpg">

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

Ooh! What a lovely piece of trackwork that three way is! Judging by that, I look forward to seeing the rest of the layout come together.

Cheers,

John E.

Seconded, that does look very nice. Where is the sleeper base from?

Guest oldlugger

Yes, very nice Bob. The ply sleeper bases look rather like Timber Tracks by C and L (if they sell these in 7mm?). Good luck with the project.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 months later...

Been a while since any updates, so i thought i would post a few pictures. Most of the Track has been laid, and the wiring almost done, so i thought i would crack on with some scratch building. This is The brewery, which hides a two road traverser.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another picture, sorry about the poor quality, taken with my phone,. The grass is teddy bear fur, and a mixture of other grass etc.

Ballast is carrs, and the small pond is made with easy water. I must get my camera out, the iphone camera is quite poor in low light.

And as you might of noticed, i have finally given the project a name, as the buildings you see in the previous posts are, when finished

a brewery. I thought why not.

IMG_0243.jpg

Archived