2 Function and 3 Function

Earl Bathurst

Hi

I have a mixture of steam and diesel and have bought a ESU ECoS but i have been using the chips which i already have installed in the loco but which 1s could i use in my steam locos or diesell locos?

Bit confused between what is meant by the term in function?

Thanks

:)

If you don't have controllable features such as lights (via a function) then you don't need all of the functions.

Typically 2 functions are required for front/rear lights (even though F0 controlls both), cab light another function, smoke genny another etc.

So for something like a steam loco i would only really need a 2 function being that i aint got lights or smoke generator?

Scott

For a loco with just a motor (no lights or any other features), you need a "no functions" decoder. But such things don't exist, so you fit "2 function" and don't use the spare wires.

However, that's just function output counts. There is more to decoders than the number of wires; some decoder makers offer superior control of motors (better smooth running) than other makers.

Hi

To answer your question none of the mentioned decoders suit my locos but I will answer that later. As pointed out if you have a steam loco with no lights or smoke generators a 2 function only decoder will do. You have the ECoS which is a fantastic controller, their is not much better than that. From memory you have 28 function available with the ECoS. So why not make use of them.

Myself I wouldnt even consider buying a decoder with anything less than 4 functions. Some of my British Steam locos have 22 independent lighting functions all for different lights in each loco plus smoke generators etc plus another 15 sound functions giving me a total of 37 functions.

Even my n gauge class 14 has 4 working lighting functions. If their are there why not use them?

Same with diesels you can achieve directional lighting with a 2 function decoder but 3 functions it really doesnt do much. Maybe a cab light or aux front light. With 4 functions you can do much more, fully independent lights for your diesel.

You have a fantastic controller and have spent good money so why not finish it off with good quality decoders. Zimo ESU DCC Concepts to mention a few all which have a minimum of 4 functions.

2 and 3 function decoders not my cup of tea but its your railway.

Cheers

Martin

Archived