Deltic Event at Shildon and ELR

Jon020

Straight from the Class 55 Yahoo group discussion forum: --- In deltics_class55@yahoogroups.com, "cutler9000" <andy@...> wrote:

>

> Just thought I'd repost this very exciting news from http://presnews.wordpress.com/:

>

> "Co-operation with the National Railway Museum and Deltic Preservation Society should see 2 remarkable events take place in October, celebrating the Deltics 50th year. It is hoped that all the remaining production Deltics will be together with the prototype for the first time at the N.R.M.'s Shildon annexe over the weekend of 8th and 9thOctober, with 55 022 planned to collect all the Class 55's except `Tulyar', which is arriving at the event by road. After this weekend, 55 022 should haul D9016 back home to Bury, joined by 55 002, D9009 and 55 019. The second `Deltics – 50 Years' event at the East Lancashire Railway is planned for Friday 14th to Sunday 16th October, when an intensive all Deltic hauled service is planned. It is hoped that the E.L.R. will also offer a chance to drive a Deltic and also a staged photo shoot. 55 022 should then return the visiting Deltics back to York and Barrow Hill, details of both of these events will be advised in due

course."

I understand that there are still details to sort... and there's some debate about how this will be arranged... but the news was put out to publicise the event to get as much interest and notice as possible. Shildon is a little too far for me... but I will be looking at getting a "daddy's away day" pass for the weekend at the ELR. Come along and celebrate their 50th anniversary in style. I'll post further details here as they become apparent.

:yahoo:

• 1 month later...

The next month or two look exciting.

Starting with North York Moors with 55002.

The following weekend No.2 goes to the Wensleydale with No.19.

Into October we have Shildon with all 7 surviving machines and finally the big weekend with No's 2,9,16,19 and 22 at ELR.

• 1 month later...

With the rain getting in the way at times, it was still a good day at Shildon today.

The engines looked great.

The NRM 'thank you' was interesting to say the least. The plan for mainline running and the esteem that the work carried out by Pete and team is held by people was very evident.

Archived