ESU sound in Bachmann Ivatt 4

Harry Basset

I've just taken delivery of an ESU sound decoder for my Bachmann Ivatt 4. Has anyone fitted this decoder into a 4MT? The decoder seems too long to fit into the slot in the boiler which origionally housed a weight. Will I need to fit the decoder and speaker in the tender with the wires extended from the socket in the smokebox?

I've just taken delivery of an ESU sound decoder for my Bachmann Ivatt 4. Has anyone fitted this decoder into a 4MT? The decoder seems too long to fit into the slot in the boiler which origionally housed a weight. Will I need to fit the decoder and speaker in the tender with the wires extended from the socket in the smokebox?

I assume that this is a v4 full size decoder which is a tad large for the smokebox of the Ivatt 4. One wonders whether the Micro would be better. These new V4 Micros have just started coming through now.

I have never fitted an Ivatt 4 but even the tender might be a challenge for both decoder and speaker and four wires between the tender and loco will need careful handling in the plug and socket area.

Archived