Images from a German repair shop

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Been meaning to post these images for a few days, but only just found the time. Actually, this is more of a repost as I think I did post them on the previous incarnation of RMweb already. In any case, I was thinking they might give you some inspiration as to how to model a German railway repair shop, should you wish to do so :yes: .

These images were all taken on a guided tour through the old workshop for suburban trains in Frankfurt, which was located on the east end of the borough of Griesheim. This Google Earth image may give you an idea of some key facilities around Frankfurt Central Station:

fgmffau.jpg

The area called "Außenbahnhof" is one of the various stabling areas, and is mainly used for suburban EMUs and ICE sets. The locomotive depot is located directly south of it, with the mainline to Wiesbaden and Niedernhausen passing in between. The large stabling area between the workshops and the loco depot is mainly used for regional and long distance formations.

I think I do not need to comment all of the following images as most of them should be self-explaining, but if you should have any question about them anyway, do feel free to ask!

pict1431g.jpg

At the time of our visit, the fleet of class 420 EMUs was much bigger than it is today, while the newer 423s have the majority nowadays. This here is 420 257 on the hoist for wheelset reprofiling.

pict1438.jpg

Looking up at one of its motor units from inside the inspection pit. Note the brake callipers acting only on one wheel per wheelset, as was standard on the first six batches of this class.

pict1443.jpg

The brake disks are attached to the inside and outside faces of the relevant wheel, as you can see here.

pict1446.jpg

And this would be the reprofiling lathe.

pict1456.jpg

Two 423s and one 420 standing in line.

pict1459s.jpg

And a frontal view of 423 301 on another inspection pit.

pict1461q.jpg

Looking at the other end of 420 257 – the "B" end car having a consecutive number higher by 500 than that of the "A" end car, as is standard under the German numbering system.

pict1463y.jpg

This would be a refurbished traction motor for a 420.

pict1464z.jpg

As new GSM-R radios were being installed on the 420s at the time, there was a bunch of old radios left do be disposed of.

pict1465.jpg

I believe this was a module from the traction control circuits...

pict1466.jpg

...as were these fellas.

pict1467h.jpg

Outside the shed, there was a broken circuit breaker...

pict1468q.jpg

...and a number of refurbished wheelsets.

pict1469.jpg

I believe this was an inductor from the inverter package of a 420.

pict1472.jpg

Sadly, vandalism continues to be a problem in our area, with these here being various broken window panes.

pict1474v.jpg

And another look at the line-up of EMUs inside the shed that day.

pict1476j.jpg

423 304 was also standing in for some sort of inspection.

pict1478y.jpg

pict1479.jpg

Next door, there is the shed used for maintaining ICE 3 formations, with particular emphasis being placed on the multisystem class 406 sets.

pict1481t.jpg

As you can see, coaches are cared for here as well.

pict1482u.jpg

Those were brake pads for class 143 electrics.

pict1485.jpg

Two bullets in profile... ;)

pict1486f.jpg

...and a full view of a Bn type regional coach.

pict1487.jpg

These were toilet modules meant to be used on 403s and 406s.

pict1492.jpg

And an outside view of the suburban repair shed. The blue and white El 6 signals, which mandate a stop for all electric motive power with raised pantographs, can be blanked out in order to allow vehicles to enter the shed when the doors are open and the OHLE inside the shed is energised.

pict1494.jpg

420 244 was stabled outside the shed.

pict1497.jpg

Various technical schematics for the 420s were pinned inside a display case inside the shed.

pict1500.jpg

And this would be the cafeteria for the shop staff.

pict1501.jpg

As the 2004 European football championship was going on at the time, there was a match list put up for all footie aficionados :D .

And that would be it – hope you enjoyed this set!

• RMweb Premium

Hi John (and all :D ),

I just captioned another set of GE screenshots with a few points of interest around Central Station:

97940702.jpg

This shot shows the location of the new suburban workshop, which has been set up in the former railway post office and is much closer to both Central Station itself as well as the "Außenbahnhof" stabling area and the entries to the suburban railway tunnel.

The tunnel entries are highlighted in the following image:

ff2i.jpg

...of which there are three – the one in the centre leading to and from Griesheim for the S1 and S2 lines, and to Niederrad across the River Main for the S8 and S9 lines, going through Kleyerstraße Junction. There also is a tram depot located south of Central Station in the Gutleut borough – the only dedicated tram depot remaining in Frankfurt.

This junction is marked in the following image...

fgur.jpg

...with the German term for it being "Abzweig Kleyerstraße" and "Abzw" being the usual abbreviation for junctions in German railspeak.

Gutleuthof Junction, on the other hand, is used by the S7 line, which is the only line not running through the tunnel trunk line.

Archived