Edimax Nano Router

• RMweb Gold

I purchased an EDIMAX 150Mbps Wireless Broadband Nano Router from Maplins today on offer for £29.99.

I use a wireless router with the ECoS to connect to TouchCab on my iPhone.

This one is very small and fits perfectly underneath the ECoS, it can be used in 2 modes:-

1. Router Mode - I use this mode at Exhibitions etc where there is no other wireless network ( I have tested this mode and it works perfectly)

2. AP Client Mode - which allows the ECoS to connect to a Wireless Router, eg your home network. (Not yet tested)

The second option, if it works as describes means you have in essence a Wireless ECoS making it a lot easier to connect to not only for TouchCab but any other programs such as TrainController.

I am impressed at the size and that it is small enough to be attached to the underneath of the ECoS.

Here a few pictures to give an idea of the size.

post-6784-0-25629600-1308866285_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-88176800-1308866332_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Peter

I've just bought one after this thread.... Its tiny !!!

And, it has far more model rail / computer uses than just for ECoS users too far from their main WiFi; It could provide a WiFi Hub for users of RocRail, JMRI or RR&Co who are out of range of their home and want to run throttles on smart phones linked by WiFi to a computer.

Or, (like the one I've bought), it can do non-rail things mentioned in the manuals.

- Nigel

If you can't get that, there's the Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet adapter which uses the 802.11n standard. It is backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g standards I believe. It is also small enough to fit below an ECoS.

I have other Netgear networking products and have been very pleased with them, they work well for me.

I've had the Netgear adaptor for several months now with no problems, even when I'm also using my ECoSControl Radio. Makes downloading new loco icons or updating the firmware, (I used it to update to 3.4.0), a doddle. No more taking the ECoS to the PC. If you think ECoS is good, WiFi enabled ECoS using products like the EdiMax or Netgear is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived