Why did UK steam locomotives not have headlights/headlamps ?

brian777999

I know exactly where it was taken because I took itbiggrin.gif . It was - rather unfortunately - on a 'Thomas day' on the Zig Zag Railway in NSW in late September/early October 2004).

This was what I saw at Central (in Sydney) the day that pic was taken.

Ah, that explains it. Thank you. There's not a lot of 3'6" gauge in NSW! Sorry I missed your post for so long.

Nice cop of 3801 (headlight and all)!

Apparently, the steam locos of Barber, Walker & co did have headlights in the UK.

They operated an extensive colliery network north west of Nottingham, which included a particularly long and remote line through open countryside and woodland. Deer, cows and everything else could get in the way, so headlights were deemed essential.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that explains it. Thank you. There's not a lot of 3'6" gauge in NSW! Sorry I missed your post for so long.

Nice cop of 3801 (headlight and all)!

3801 was a bonus - I got to Central enroute to the ZigZag and there it was; I nearly changed plans and got on the railtour but as it was possibly going to be my last weekend in Sydney I went to the ZigZag as originally planned (and subsequently managed to extend the contract so got an extra weekend and several months later went back for a 4 week review session with CityRail so did the Zig Zag again but no sight of 3801 that tripcray.gif)

Apparently, the steam locos of Barber, Walker & co did have headlights in the UK.

They operated an extensive colliery network north west of Nottingham, which included a particularly long and remote line through open countryside and woodland. Deer, cows and everything else could get in the way, so headlights were deemed essential.

This would be the line from Moorgreen, past Beauvale, Watnall Brickworks and Watnall, to join the MR lines east of Kimberley? Had an uncle who was engine driver at Moorgreen, the only family connection with the real railway. He mentioned once getting in a slide with one of the Hunslets, had flats on all 4 wheels for ages after that, but nothing about headlights. Sadly passed away about 5 yrs ago, so can't ask.

This would be the line from Moorgreen, past Beauvale, Watnall Brickworks and Watnall, to join the MR lines east of Kimberley? Had an uncle who was engine driver at Moorgreen, the only family connection with the real railway. He mentioned once getting in a slide with one of the Hunslets, had flats on all 4 wheels for ages after that, but nothing about headlights. Sadly passed away about 5 yrs ago, so can't ask.

Yes, that's the line - there are photographs, so it is definitely true that they had headlights, front and rear.

Archived