British WW1 Military Railways

DaveyH

• RMweb Gold

I too am commencing a diorama for the 2011 challenge in 1/35 scale. See Kat's 2011 challenge

This will be based on the World War One Trench Railways – the British version of “feldbahnâ€.

The scene will be non-operational, but will (hopefully :-) ) contain lots of detail to entertain the observer. Sandbags, mud, soldiers, mud, civilians, mud, 60cm railway, mud etc.. You get the message?

At the moment I am contemplating a scene on the Western Front in 1917, a class “F†wagon or two – can't make my mind up between an evacuation scenario for the poor wounded or a supply train for an artillery unit......we'll have to see what I feel like when I start building.

First figures were primed today after an early finish from work (POETS)......can't wait until tomorrow when the sea of mud will commence..........

• RMweb Premium

......can't wait until tomorrow when the sea of mud will commence..........

Going to Glastonbury then :lol:

When I saw what you were planning, I thought you would be using the Scalelink stock but I now see that this is 1:32 rather than 1:35 although I know that normally in the plastic kit ranges, military modelling is usually 1:35

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Narrow_Gauge__60cm__Railway.html

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. My son had a load of white metal WW1 figures given to him by Phil Morris of PLM Castings at a 7mmNG event a few years ago but they are still in a box waiting for me to do something with - as for my son he now has a 32 year old Mini that takes up all his time :D

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Carried on figure painting today - eleven soldiers/civilians primed and with a first coat of "flesh". You forget how much detail there is on large scale models - I've painted 11 faces, 22 ears, 22 hands, 88 fingers and 22 thumbs :lol:

They all look very odd at the moment with just heads and hands painted in a light colour against a dark background - like an early Black and White Minstrel Show!

In the shed I found some ply that is big enough to use as a base so should be able to continue with 3D planning as the week goes on. Shame I'm in work all week..............

Hi,

This should be an interesting diorama.

Just to be a bit pedantic, D or E class wagons are more suitable for casualty evacuation.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/H09180

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/H09181

Not that I'm saying F class wagons weren't used for it, but I've never seen a photo.

(stretchers are a possibility for wagon loads on the 7mm scale WDLR layout myself and 2 others are building, there's a link in my signature.)

I take it you have seen (or have) the 3 books by plateway press:

Narrow Gauge at War 1 & 2, and Light Track To Arras (Narrow Gauge at War 3) ?

They are full of great photos and we have based a lot of our layout on them.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I chose to portray F class wagons having seen this video.

I agree though that in the books I have seen far more of the D class wagons adapted for casualties.

Your layout looks very interesting and far more prototypical than my little diorama will be - I am trying to convey a feeling for the situation in an 11 x 20 area (without spending a fortune or taking a year to build!)

Tonight I hope to finish "dressing" my soldiers...............

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ability to compete withdrawn by unhelpful employer posting me for a period of detached duty - thanks guys :(

I hope to finish it when I come back though.......just to show em :angry:

Archived