Scottish Region Rolling Stock

Rustyhingepin

Inspired by a Railway Modeller "plan of the month" I am in the early stages of planning a "what if" layout of Lochearnhead based in the late 60's (hence the what if !), which is going to have to involve re numbering of my existing rolling stock.

I seem to be able to find mk1 numbering online but scottish region early mk2 numbers are eluding me, can anyone come up with a listing with this info please?

Cheers

Pete

Guest Max Stafford

Pete,

In the late 1960s, Mk2s were very much premier stock in use on the crack mainline services. This stock only began to be cascaded onto the West Highland in the late 1970s or more likely early 1980s as Mk3 production peaked.

Therefore you're not going to miss by sticking with Mk1s. Until 1968-9, you can also chuck in the odd 'Big 4' straggler too.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that I had a hunch that might have been the case, having done some more reading, I understand that the early mk2s were either southern green and a small number of maroon ones for the midland region, any ideas where I might find a listing of the numbers applied to the midland maeroon ones?

Guest Max Stafford

British Rail Mark 2 Coaches by Michael Harris is the definitive volume, dealing with every aspect of the marque.

The first variant introduced was the FK in 1964. These were produced for the Southern and Eastern and turned out in green and lined maroon respectively.

As far as I know, the 1965-66 batches then received the new corporate livery from new, prior to it's general adoption as they were then being gathered together for use as premier stock for the new all-electric Inter-City service to Liverpool and Manchester and also for the crack Eastern services. As a result, the Eastern FKs were rapidly repainted to conform with the new-built seconds and brakes in 1966.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived