City Central

Sam '43003' Tanner

Who remember's RMweb's craze with the Ikea boxes, drawers and shelves.? I do. I purchased a small plywood 3-drawer set. dry.gif

Some of the more solid pieces got dug out today, following the loss of my grandmother in the last 24 hours. It's what I do to occupy my mind. With choosing to not continue my micro diorama based on a pedestrian crossing on the Volks Electric Railway, I aimed to focus on Mill Road Halt, but as I say, I had to do something to keep my mind occupied. So, an inner-city terminus (well, part of) with high level passenger lines and a low level locomotive depot is the result.

image002kb.jpg

Dimensions are 13½" x 7". I toyed about with the heights as well. I'm hoping the difference in elevation will add a bit of visual interest. It's rough and very basic, but it's gives a visualisation..

image004dn.jpg

One gripe I do have is the width of the platforms. I might shift the whole upper deck back a bit to give more width to the platform towards the front.

Like I say, spur of the moment "mourn-elling".

Be gentle.

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandmother last year, and I have a fair idea what you are going through. In my case, it was my Grandparents who really enabled me to start out in railway modelling, as I didn't have room for my own layout at home. I think getting stuck into a project is a really good way of taking your mind off things, and I really wish you well with the diorama.

I can see what you mean about the platforms being a little narrow, have you considered doing something along the lines of Uxbridge High Street, where the platfrom was on one side only and cantilevered out on the side of the embankment? It might give you a little more scenic space to work with.

Good luck, and stick with it.

Charlie

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandmother last year, and I have a fair idea what you are going through. In my case, it was my Grandparents who really enabled me to start out in railway modelling, as I didn't have room for my own layout at home. I think getting stuck into a project is a really good way of taking your mind off things, and I really wish you well with the diorama.

I can see what you mean about the platforms being a little narrow, have you considered doing something along the lines of Uxbridge High Street, where the platfrom was on one side only and cantilevered out on the side of the embankment? It might give you a little more scenic space to work with.

Good luck, and stick with it.

Charlie

Thank you for your kind words Charlie.

I didn't consider it until now, so I'll look into it. Besides trying to design the layout for operation post-challenge, the main reason I originally planned it for 2 running lines was to have, say a Cl.47 with a Mk.1 pulling into the terminus where the coach would be uncoupled then hauled back to the fiddle yard. The loco would be released to the depot and then a Cl.03 would haul the Mk1. back into the platform.

I will look into Uxbridge High Street though.

The platform issue is causing me too much aggrovation at the moment. I'm looking into losing one of the running lines, dropping it all to the same level and having a stab at a 'What if.?' SLT.

The Portbury branch runs from Parson Street to the South West of Bristol, tracing the old route to Portishead. Both Freightliner and DBS coal trains run on the branch. What if the passenger services had been retained.?

That's the what if. An SLT with adjacent depot for loco's off of the freight workings. All modern, so nothing special, but I may back date it. Keep your peeper's open.

Archived