The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Auto refresh of pages on Firefox?

Taz

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Due to a strange issue I have suffered when using Internet Explorer covered in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co....mped-off-rmweb/

I am now using Firefox to browse RMWeb but its behaviour doesn't quite fit in with the way I like to use the site.

I browse the site via Active Content and select the topics I am interested in reading from there. When I have finished reading a topic I click the back button to return to Active Content and then move on from there.

With Internet Expolorer the Active Content page was automatically updated when I clicked the back button. This made it easy for me to track topics I had already read and see any new / updated topics since I was last on the page.

Under Firefox the page is not automatically refreshed when using the back button, but loaded from cache.

Is there a setting somewhere in Firefox where I can force a page refresh when using the back button?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Same here with Opera. I think that the auto reload on back is an IE only "feature" that is not liked by many and is one of the reasons that folks use browsers other than IE.

You can please all of the people some of the time ......

• Like 1

Yes there is another option dons available for Firefox. it is known as Reload Every

http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/

You can set a tab to reload at intervals.

But possibly a better option would be to slightly change the way you are browsing the site.

Instead of opening each topic in the same tab, open it in different tabs one for each topic of interest.

Closing each tab after reading/posting and then working your way back to the Active Content tab which you can refresh with a simple click on the link.

You can of course then leave the long or very interesting tabs as live and refresh them or wait while you pop off to do some modelling, take a tea break, or consult other online references/search engines.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I am running Firefox 5 so not sure why my setup behaves differently to yours, Thumper?

Kenton, thanks I have downloaded the extension but it's a messy solution to the problem. Also, I guess I'm just set in my ways as to how I like to use the site :)

I think setting the cache to zero is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I did find a setting in the config that is supposed to force the page to reload every time but changing it seems to have had no effect?

I might approach this from the other direction and see if upgrading IE to the latest version solves the original problem.

Thanks again.

i find that the site you are on can auto reload something....

This can be done using javascript - in fact an awful lot of things can be made to happen without your direct control or knowledge using javascript.