Driving 37406

Sultan

Hello,

I use a NCE powercab and so far my favourite sound loco to drive on my tailchaser is Vitrains 37406 which is fitted with a Locsound 3.5 sound decoder and Howes sounds loaded .

Anyway whilst powering a full train at notch 126 the full load sound thrash faded away and the engine note dropped to idle but the train kept on coasting with no speed reduction at 126 so i pumped the power cab button again and the thrash came back straight away,tried again, brilliant, I was able to acheive a coasting speeding train for as long as i wanted with no speed reduction,no hessitant stop start jerky train load and engine thrash response from the drivers throttle putting the power noise back on when I wanted .

This was getting good so next I tried at lower cab speed settings and acheived brilliant train automatic acceleration wih thrash up to any preset notchspeed level, brilliant deacceleration with controlable brake exhaust at the right moments and all with the brakes squealing at different volumes depending on the deacceleration speed.

Ok I hear you all saying you do this all the time all you need to do is use as many fingers as possible to poke the cab controler , be very fast with one,or rub the fingerprints off your thumb on the wheel.

But I acheived it all with one singular button- the same button,automatic acceleration/deacceleration/ stopping.(be quick on the button when stopping/restarting)

Ok you know the answer? then why did'nt you share before ?yes.gif

Did I use a CV calculator and multiply the resulting CV by 22/7 was the chip reblown by Doctor Who ?Is it a secret Vitrains feature?Did I use fingers and toes?

Well no nothing as high tech or as invloved as my solution suggestions.With 37406 tailchasing and my mind occupied with trying to drive another loco in the sidings instead of pressing the F and R button for the shunting loco I was by mistake pushing the Fand R button that was assigned to 37406 thrasing around the tailchaser so it was 37406 receiving the Fand R signal whilst thrashing away at max which then caused it to coast and acelerate.

After further experimenting with this find, a small pause between pushing F/R is the best way to acheive this,or listen to the engine note when pushing R and when it drops off push F ,loco will carry on at same speed but coasting.To accelerate away from coast push R, pause, then F again.

Simular at lower speeds and loco will slowdown/increase to the preset speed step.

The head/tailights will only changeover when the loco itself stops and moves in the other direction so if stopping dead with R push to F before direction changes,headlights are the sign

Momentum stage 3 I think is set in my powercab which gives a smooth invisible change from FtoR within period and back again.

Tried this with Bachmann diesel and Zimo sounds but does not have any effect.

How does it effect steam sounds I wonder as I have no steam locos with sounds to try.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed reading my post and look forward to reading any comments about it or on the way you drive your diesel.

Best regards

Sultan

Interesting. I have an exposition about coasting in Showcase ( shortly to be featured content ).

Basically you appear to be bypassing the coasting threshold by what you are doing. You will need to try the same using the throttle only by turning down the throttle just two steps, wait a second or two then turn down four and so on until you have the time it takes for the thrash sound file to play in full and then play the dethrottling file and go into coast. Coast will be set for a number of seconds ( or indeed minutes ) and at the end of that the decoder will automatically select the sound slot that you have reached on the throttle.

It is also possible that the coast has been set in the transition slot and on loop so the slightest movement of the throttle will take the decoder into or out of that sound. This allows different sounds on each driving speed sound slot both accelerating and decelerating.

It is possible that the use of R and F are duplicating the very delicate throttle movements that would achieve the same result particularly utilising the momentum settings in the decoder and the ProCab.

Howes latest projects are noted for their sophistication and the sometimes delicate and very specific driving techniques needed to find these little tricks.

Terrific when you find them, innit?

• 8 months later...

Hello,

A new purchase of mine is the Bachmann 57,57011 in DRS colours fitted with SWD sounds and my first with the latest Loksound v4.0 sound decoder anyway after running the loco in and being very pleased with its peformance and sound I coupled it to a train and drove off around my tailchaser as an experiment I tried my previous described method of making the loco change from thrash to coast and back again by using the F + R direction button on the powercab controler and yes thrash and coast once again at the push of the button, but! once again an additional feature !

If you leave the train running with the thrash off,coasting,

After around one minute the power thrash comes automaticaly back on by itself, (perhaps as a sound loop comes back to its start setting ?)

Try bringing your train to a stop at a signal using just the direction button and then just as the train stops,brakes squealing, pushing the direction button for FWD and powering away up to the preset speed.

Another enjoyable way of driving.

:sungum:

ps,my choice of momentum is seting 8.

Archived