Where to begin?

I've been in need of a modern station building for my layout for a fairly long time; but with no luck in finding a suitable kit or RTR (and cheap) building, I'm not considering completing my own as a low relief design. The building itself will be based upon that of the 60s type design at Stafford Station on the West Coast Mainline; albeit without the second story. Since I am new to scratchbuilding; I'm planning to at first build a mock card structure and then repeat with a suitable material; which is the first of my questions:

- In designing a building, is Plasticard/Plastruct styrene sheets the best way to go about it?

-What is the best way to hide corners? (Is wet and dry paper suitable?)

-What is the best method to fix sheets together at corners?

-How about windows; is clear styrene the best option here also?

-What thickness is the most suitable?

-I'm planning on making it semi modular so the roof just sits on top of the walls which will be fixed together using a suitable glue etc.

I'll probably add to the list as I go along; but any advice at this early stage would be greatly appreciated :)

James,

Although a bit coarse by todays standards - have you looked at a 'modding' job on an old Hornby station building manufactured in the 70's. These were the red square jobs and were roughly based on the modern 60's styling of BR building such as the one at Fleet in Hampshire? IIRC you can pick these up for pennies at swapmeets etc...

Regards

Stu

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i3TMehheq78C&lpg=PA19&ots=3IV6l8LLjo&dq=plastic%20structure%20modelling&pg=PA28#v=onepage&q&f=false has some useful tips

Chamfer corners then reinforce them with triangular gussets and laminate two thicknesses of sheet for walls ensuring they are the same thickness..

Wild Swan probably has some useful books in its range.

Archived