ESU Standard Speaker for new 37/0

northendboy

Yes, I know that a bass reflex speaker in the tanks is a better option, but..

I purchased the new 37/0 and took a bit of a flyer and bought the SWD/LokSound sound decoder as well, which comes with a pre-wired speaker in an enclosure. My question is, how do you get that in there??? I have removed the myriad wires to the switches in the fuel tank, re-routed some of the other wires to create a bit of space, but I am snookered as to how it is supposed to fit.

The speaker measures, hang on let me get my glasses, 42x22x12, and sounds fine when I tested it, just can't make it fit.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Phil

Yes, I know that a bass reflex speaker in the tanks is a better option, but..

42x22x12,

Phil, that set of measurements has me beat. Is this a V3.5 or a V4? The standard speaker for a V3.5 is 23mm round by about half that deep. The old Micro speaker is also nowhere near that long and they are not really available yet and not really needed fora 37.

Pics might help.

Hi DWhitedcc, if you get a 21 pin chip from SWD it comes with a standard 20 x 40 speaker as found in the Bachman sound fitted loco's. Or at least my last one did! The measurements given by Northendboy also include the plastic 'baffle' box.

As you have discovered Northendboy, while the sounds from this speaker and box combination are pretty good, even better when the combo are well sealed, they fit in nothing I've ever chipped apart from a 'dummy' Lima HST power car! If you can cut the baffle box down to 9.5mm in depth it will fit in the underframe tanks, or with a bit of metalwork you my be able to fit it under the fan grill in the space Bachman use, although I haven't tried it! HTH, Kev.

Hi Phil.

I have just got a new v4 37 re furbished sound decoder from howes.

Like you, i choose on this occasion not to fit a base speaker in the fuel tanks.

With a little butchering off the enclosure, and removal of the fan shield, i was able to fit it under the fan.

Very pleased with sound,

Also good to have a variety of 37 sounds, rather than them ( only3, by the way) sounding the same.

Good luck, im watching the post to see what others suggest.

Cheers

loco

Many thanks to everyone for the help, I feel baffle box butchery beckoning, if only for the alliteration. Will have a crack at it tonight; I have prepared a list of expletives and curses to use, and once I'm confident I can use them all I will get cracking.

Regards,

OK, so it's official 'admit you're a thickie' time. Removing the speaker from the baffle box makes it fit perfectly under the fan grille, there are even holes in the requisite place to make it fit; it could have been made to measure.. what do you mean, it was. Come on, you all knew that didn't you? And you were all aghast at the fact that I didn't.

However, the sound is much better with the box fitted so I am going to give it a right good shoeing to make it fit. The requisite tools are now assembled; Pipe wrench, Petrol Strimmer, Hilti Gun and an industrial tilt hammer, so it should be plain sailing from here... shouldn't it?

OK, so it's official 'admit you're a thickie' time. Removing the speaker from the baffle box makes it fit perfectly under the fan grille, there are even holes in the requisite place to make it fit; it could have been made to measure.. what do you mean, it was. Come on, you all knew that didn't you? And you were all aghast at the fact that I didn't.

However, the sound is much better with the box fitted so I am going to give it a right good shoeing to make it fit. The requisite tools are now assembled; Pipe wrench, Petrol Strimmer, Hilti Gun and an industrial tilt hammer, so it should be plain sailing from here... shouldn't it?

Not without a five ton fly press and some real swinging room to get that extra oomph.

OK, so me and the chaps above, have made it fit, and how much better is it than a fan-mounted speaker??? Absolutely none, as far as my ears can make out, though they may have been affected by Rupert and his big hammer, as featured in the above pic. So I may try the bass reflex speaker some time in the future, but in my humble opinion, bashing your new purchase to make the speaker box fit is not the most fruitful way of passing your time.

A few quick tips gleaned from my experience of putting all this stuff together;

•  
  • Be a bit wary whilst taking the bottom weight out of the fuel tanks of the new models as the wires get a bit stretched and in the way, you can always unsolder them, but it's a bit of a nuisance.
  • Don't rely on putting the body back on by hand to test the lights, the body really has to be screwed down to make the contacts connect positively
  • There is very little information availbale for the Loksound 4.0 decoder, and what you can find is a bit like your maths homework
  • The cab lights didn't work at first until I did a decoder reset, then they mysteriously arrived on F7
  • If you even think about re-mapping the decoder functions via the manual your brain will meltdown and demand real ale.

And as a final thought, I was actually trained to do this electronics stuff via the MOD years ago, therefore my incompetence has been paid for indirectly by you lot, via your hard-earned tax pounds.

And as a final, final thought, there is so much good information on this site, and people are so helpful, it is a pleasure to be a member of the site.

That's enough from me for this thread, thanks for staying just this side of mocking,

Phil

OK, so me and the chaps above, have made it fit, and how much better is it than a fan-mounted speaker??? Absolutely none, as far as my ears can make out,

Aha, another speaker virgin duly informed!

As to V4 Loksound, we are all in a black hole at the moment as the software to programme these chips properly is not yet available.

Thou hast done well to get this far. keep the forge and hammers warm. There will be a next time!!

Archived