Provisionally In - 7mm colonial colliery

grasshopper

At the moment I am in - have my final 2 uni exams next week and them maybe a BEd next year (as well as work as Dishpig nights) so will need to see what time I have available

Givens & Druthers so far...

Scale - O Fine

Prototype - One of the small collieries around Newcastle (NSW) ATM looking at Burwood(original at Murdering Gully not No3 at Whitehead), Cardiff and ? Ferndale - OR Coal staithes on Queens Wharf - although this may change when the 2 new volumes of Coal, Steam & Rail are released in the next few weeks (I hope!). ? Will be named either Silksworth No 5 Tunnel, no 5 crane or somesuch. ? I was thinking of numbering the 'big' loco(LSWR 0330 class)?  5 for the challenge - but it will be called Hannibal and numbered 8 ( a reference to my favorite character (Professor Fate) in my favorite movie(The Great Race)?  , so the as yet unstarted Manning Wardell K class may be numbered 5 ? - I am trying to get a passenger station in there somewhere as well

Era 1880 - 1905? 

Size not sure yet - have done a q&d spreadsheet to see what 2010 divides by (1in wide is 167' long,?  18" is 9.33' etc)?  - but the room it has to fit into is 11' * 9' - and it has to accommodate my office & mag/book collection as well atm it looks the Helford Creek 'trick' may be adopted ie L shaped and curved pivotted 'fiddleyard'?  - either that or it will be like countless other layouts (thinking of basic idea of Halstead and the very 1st layout in GOG Tp book) ... with fiddleyard behind (not counted for space , and after challenge scenic over the top with colliery ephemera (ie skip lines, boiler house, workshops etc)

Construction ? I am quite keen to try Prof Kylzler's foamboard method as demonstrated at the last NSW O-Scale Modellers forum with optional aluminium exoskeleton to fit it into room and to hold up books/mag/desk?  - I wasn't there but the good prof posted them on the google small layouts group.

Archived