Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Railway Quiz

trainsandco

Bridgnorth, then? I have to hold my hand up to Googling that and it still doesn't ring any bells now I've seen it. I'll have to check my photos from when we went.

Yes. (Had you said "Severn Valley Railway", that would have been sufficient.)

After several years on static display at Kidderminster (SVR) Station (adjacent to the museum), "Warwickshire" (MW 2047/1926, ex-Rugby Portland Cement Co. no. 4) has recently been taken to Bridgnorth for assessment pending possible overhaul.

Your turn.

Ok, try this:

Father and son both built locomotives; father was singularly eminent while both their designs were noted for their lack of a singular eminence.

These were a product of the son. They were never abundant; saw the first war but not the second; were Grouped twice within two years.

They bequeathed their boilers and numbers to other locomotives, some of which went on to give sterling service.

Which locomotives are we talking about?

One of Matthew Stirling's designs for the Hull & Barnsley Railway?

The H&BR A class 0-8-0s or "Tinies" (LNER class Q10), whose boilers (rebuilt with domes) went on to give sterling (like the pun) service on the Q5 class.

Locomotive builders, or at least the private ones, tended to allocate works numbers to identify their products.

Which locomotive builder (who underwent some early changes of name and later relocated to the locomotive building "capital" of Great Britain), originally allocated letters to its products, deciding to switch to numbers after reaching "U"?

Returning to an earlier question, MW Katherine of 1914 was one of only three standard gauge 0-8-0Ts built for industrial service in the U.K. It was said to have had something of 'keeping up with the Jones's" about it's origins.

So, name the other two 0-8-0Ts, who built them and where did they work?

Purely as a bragging point, not an essential part of the answer, their manufacturer had earlier made their name from inventing and making what item of industrial equipment?

• RMweb Gold

Well perhaps not exactly 'industrial' but I'm going for the two 0-8-0Ts built by Hawthorn Leslie for the Kent & East Sussex Rlwy (which did mean industrial use) and the Plymouth Devonport & South West Jcn Rlwy. The former being Works No 2587 of 1904 but I don't know further details for the latter. RW Hawthorn had begun as stationary engine builders although they did innovate in loco design in their early days while A Leslie & co (with whom they amalgamated to become Hawthorn Leslie) were shipbuilders.

Well,I spotted this last night,but it was too late to go and rummage for the references,I've now had said rummage,but still can't find the exact book I was looking for :angry: ! So, I hope you'll forgive me for working from memory and not giving a thorough answer,anyway,here goes:

Nasmyth Wilson built two 0-8-0T loco's in 1924 for Astley & Tyldesley collieries,which ended up working at Gin Pit.

'Emmanuel Clegg' 1419/1924. and it's twin, 'Lawrence Ennis' [???,this is the dodgy bit,-you can tell,-can't you? :D ]

If I find the correct info,I'll amend this post.

Oh, go on then, you're pretty much there.

Yes, Nasmyth Wilson 918 of 1910, 'Maden' and, a surprising fourteen years later, identical NW1419 of 1924, 'Emmanual Clegg'.

Both were built for Astley and Tyldesley Collieries just a few miles from Nasmyth Wilsons works at Patricroft. They were used at Gin Pit, Lancashire, to move heavy coal trains up a steep incline to join the LNWR's Eccles to Wigan line. Emmanuel Clegg was not taken out of service until 1958 and was not cut up until 1965.

It was said that Manning Wardle 'Katherine' was built for the Earl of Ellesmere's nearby Walkden Collieries 'to keep up with the Jones's.

James Nasmyth, inventor, engineer, amateur astronomer and artist, invented the steam hammer, an important tool in the  

forging and wrought iron industries.

Over to you...

Okay then,

In Brain of Britain style can you link the following;

The surname of a fashion model

The crossing of a physical barrier

The work of a railway pioneer

The phrase 'England's bread hangs by Lancashire's thread'

Not sure how Brain of Britain works, but I'm thinking Chat Moss (Kate Moss -1), which is a peat bog that presented an obstacle (2) to George Stephenson (3) during the construction of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, which was constructed principally for the textile trade (Manchester being the centre of the cotton trade was nicknamed "Cottonopolis") and Liverpool its major port (4).