If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Greetings from Lincolnshire

Grampus

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody.

Having been both inspired and amazed by the quality and the diversity of the modelling on RM Web since I joined earlier in the year, I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I have been a railway modeller for many years, though like many of you my output has been somewhat sporadic due to all the usual distractions: family, career, bouts of 'Destroy it Yourself' and occasional - work-related - protracted absences. I do have a small end-to-end layout which has been progressing, albeit ever so slowly, for a good number of years with no finishing date in sight: still, I'm told it's the journey, not the destination, that counts and I'm enjoying the trip. It does not seem to have impeded my ability to buy shiny new rolling stock on a regular basis though!

I model in OO, having neither the ability nor the time to do anything more challenging, though I have great admiration for those of you that do. Maybe one day! My particular interest is in the south western division of the Southern Region, late 1970s to early 1990s, as a result of many happy hours spent platform-ending during those years on a diet of Cromptons, '50's and Hampshire units, interspersed with the occasional 47, 56 or 59. Happy days. Meanwhile I have also acquired a burgeoning collection of - predominantly Southern Region and BR Standard - steam engines to populate my 'One Day' roundy-roundy, should I ever manage to clear sufficient space in the spare room to enable me to build it. Of course that then leaves the delicious dilemma: do I model undiluted Southern or somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset to accommodate another of my interests? Choices, choices... Mind you, I also possess a small(ish) collection of US rolling stock, though I do not envisage ever doing much more with that than a small shunting plank.

Currently I work away from home during the week: whilst not ideal, on the plus side my productivity has certainly improved on the basis that it keeps me out of the bar in the evenings! Not sure what the cleaners make of the layout in my accommodation though. Unfortunately I do not have much in the way of a digital camera at the moment so my ability to post pictures on here is currently limited: however, that is something I hope to resolve in the not too distant future. I am looking forward to being able to share with you all in due course.

Until then, very best wishes,

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rivercider,

Thank you for the welcome. Rest assured that, whatever the outcome, it will be predominantly green.( - though the Maunsells do look very nice in blood and custard.) However, very familiar with mission creep, as are my stock cupboard and my credit card, so I know where you are coming from!

Regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Grampus

Whatever you do, please share it with us - we love photos on here.

If you're like me, the quality of the model is what counts, even if it is not prototypical to your region or era (in my case think Southern EMU on an ex LMS main line with a wayside station with goods loop).

Whatever you choose, it is fun to do it, and almost as much fun to discuss it on here.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Welcome,

my initial thought to answer your dilemna was, keep it green (as in SR), but then again I am now worrying about 'mission creep'!

good luck!

Don't tell him that, unless you can get green toothpaste?

You know that NWSE makes sense :laugh:

Welcome to the madhouse Paul and have lots of fun.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Stewart,

I love the idea of a Southern EMU on an LMS main line. With a slight stretch of the modeller's licence it sounds as though it could be just northwest of Bournemouth and definitely south of Templecombe!

Rob,

Green toothpaste? Sounds dodgy: too much chance of mixing it up with shaving cream for my liking! Best I pick somewhere non-descript for the roundy-roundy to enable me to ring the changes, perhaps with interchangeable buildings. NSE 50s one day and Mr Bulleid's finest the next.

Thank you both for making me welcome. Now I just need to stop procrastinating, do some modelling and take a few pictures...

Best wishes,

Paul

Archived