Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Go and get a life..

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

There certainly are!, another idiot jobsworth in action:-

http://tinyurl.com/69xgpop

For definite - about 30 years back travelling on a train in North Africa a couple got in, the hubby looked pretty old but that was probably due to the sun and his wife was probably young but had little more than her eyes on show. However not long after they get on their babe was clearly demonstrating that he thought it was dinner time - so mum sits there and pulls aside a couple of layers and duly pops babe on b**b and babe starts tucking in; no worries about which was who's 'culture' - just one of the oldest and simplest acts in the world as far as humans are concerned.

As far as journos are concerned I think a lot of it isn't down to them but to the bosses and owners who want the readership figures and advertising revenue.

• RMweb Gold

What gets me about this sort of story, (if I may be permitted to climb up onto my soap box.....), is here we all are united as one with the same sort of outlook on the subject.

Yes you may climb on your soapbox! And yes I agree with your viewpoint completely, but isn't that often the way.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1

So is that (the OP) the basis of a letter to the paper Andy? :pleasantry: :clapping:

I can't be doing with the snail mail approach so I used the Comments facility on their page so they could lob my rant into the bin more efficiently. laugh.gif

That's my bit for the environment today.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think the local letters pages are always the best hoot. Its obviously where the reporters get their local nutter sources from.

If you look at the web versions of the local rags, the comments sections are usually even nuttier than the letters in the printed versions! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I can't be doing with the snail mail approach so I used the Comments facility on their page so they could lob my rant into the bin more efficiently. laugh.gif

That's my bit for the environment today.

:laugh: That's really funny! Lob it in the bin more efficiently! :lol:

I've long worked on the principle that important local news from where I live will be in the national news and papers. If it's not in there, it's probably not important.

Must disagree to some extent. The media is full of unimportant "non-news" items, both nationally and locally. If newspapers restricted themselves to "the facts ma'am, just the facts", they'd probably find it difficult to fill a single sheet, let alone a multi-page spread. The current NoW fuss is largely media-fuelled. Very important security issues apart, how many people really are that interested?

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

When in doubt, fill the page with inane drivel. From the Shropshire Star this week: "July has five Fridays, five Saturdays and five Sundays this year - something which hasn't happened for 823 years. The same happened last October."

Hmmm. Remember the hack we upset in Aberdeen?

Ahh yes; the silly Axis of Evil comments:

AIRFIX AND Hornby - THE NEW AXIS OF EVIL 10:50 - 14 November 2006

Oh dear God, no! Just when I thought my childhood trauma over model making had been healed with the demise of Airfix then Hornby, of toy train fame, rescue the firm from bankruptcy. Now there's an axis of evil. Across the land legions of sad men with anoraks and beards sit in their lofts rubbing their hands in glee. Even as they watch their toy trains endlessly circling models of obscure stations and pipe cleaner trees, they're making plans. "Yes, yes ... a Spitfire flying over Lower Ormsby signalling box just as the 4.15 to Upper Grimsby goes past would look rather good. I could make clouds out of cotton wool and fishing line." With one fell swoop another generation of children is condemned to boxes of fiddly plastic bits, pots of glue with which to stick themselves to the cat and battleship grey paint that will stay under their fingernails until puberty makes girls more interesting than Messerschmitts. Said paint remnants will also foil first fumblings with said girls, if memory serves. Still, it's all for the best. Those nice folk at Airfix get to keep their jobs. And it keeps the anoraks in their attics out of harm's way in the modern world."

Mind you it looks as though he's been given some more challenging to think through recently - http://www.eveningex...le.aspx/2135852

Maybe it was a disenfranchised and bitter Action Man?

Personally I think the local letters pages are always the best hoot. Its obviously where the reporters get their local nutter sources from.

Look I have to shop and live near people like this:

HAS ANY Staffordshire Newsletter reader, or anyone else for that matter, recently purchased Jersey Royal potatoes? They’ve been on sale for several weeks in all the supermarkets and from other outlets too. They seem OK. They scrape and they’re edible, and yet they’re not as nice as I expected.

In fact, they remind me of potatoes we had in the war, but they were not Jersey Royals because the German Wehrmacht occupied the Channel Islands from July 4 1940 until May 1945, and all the Jersey Royals were sent home to Berlin for Herman Goering to scoff and get fat on.

laugh1.gif

Maybe I should let the complainant know that they've lost their argument in a paper based form of Godwin's Law?

Guest Max Stafford

But surely Godwin's Law would not apply in this instance unless the author perceived that the Jersey Royals were in this instance behaving like Nazis or at least advocating some kind of eugenics-based solution to the Maris Piper problem...

;)

Looks like Mr Begbie fell foul of the local MRC... :lol_mini2: :vava_mini:

Dave.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Boiled the poor b*ggers to death before mashing up the remains and eating them.

Oh, the utter savagery of it...

Dave.

Ahh yes; the silly Axis of Evil comments:

Mind you it looks as though he's been given some more challenging to think through recently - http://www.eveningex...le.aspx/2135852

Maybe it was a disenfranchised and bitter Action Man?

Look I have to shop and live near people like this:

laugh1.gif

Maybe I should let the complainant know that they've lost their argument in a paper based form of Godwin's Law?

Did anyone save the spoof of Mr Begbie's article which one of our members wrote, about hacks with nicotine stained finger nails, etc?

• RMweb Premium

I'm something of a commentard over on the Bourenmouth Echo these days (wow what an exciting lifestyle I have), that has a few regulars, 'Capt. Ahab (ret.)' being one, this is one of hos more lucid comments:-

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/yoursay/letterstotheeditor/9135533.Why_do_they_make_rubbish_rules_/

I'm something of a commentard over on the Bourenmouth Echo these days (wow what an exciting lifestyle I have), that has a few regulars, 'Capt. Ahab (ret.)' being one, this is one of hos more lucid comments:-

http://www.bournemou...rubbish_rules_/

Good old Bournemouth. My Grandparents lived in Bearcross, and for a while one of my sisters lived in Kinson Park Road.

• RMweb Premium

Good old Bournemouth. My Grandparents lived in Bearcross, and for a while one of my sisters lived in Kinson Park Road.

Odd place really, on the one hand very much the Costa Del Geriatica, on the other hand the hen party/stag party /binge drinking capital of the south.