How do I wire a Peco Insulfrog Double Slip

I have mine in place when I was DC and it is still in place and I'm DCC.

Easy option to do is try it in situ without any additional wiring. Throw the blades over and try to see i you have lost power in any of the combinations/locations. If so then place feeds like you would with back to back points.

• RMweb Gold

If both tracks are connected to the same controller there should be no problems. It gets more complicated in the double slip crosses a track controlled by a different controller. The method I prefer is to isolate either side of the DS and feed into the two stock rails either side. If you then need to switch between controllers you can use an auxiliary contact on the point motor working the slip or associated points. I mention it because if you are likely to use two controllers in future it is better to sort out the wiring now.

Don

AFAIK, there should be no problem in the slip is in a single 'section' of the layout (ie under one controller). It's only when it's across two sections that there is any problem. It that case it may be simplest to make it a section of its own and switch as required.

For section switching it's easiest to use the common return system and have one rail continuous (only insulated to avoid shorts at points as is required anyway) and split the other into the various ections. These can then be switched to whichever controller is required. Eventual conversion to DCC is simple as the switches just need to be left 'on'. (Note for this system to work, each controller must be fed from a separate transformer or independent windings on the same transformer.)

(This is probably as clear as mud, but it's difficult to describe wiring in words - Peco did a leaflet at one time, which may still be available)<br><br>There are instructions here (They refer to code 83, but the principle is the same.)<br><br>http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=advice<br>

Archived