Β 

Need some trackplan advice.

I found this auction on ebay recently for an former exhibition layout called 'New Sarum' built as an 8x1 that folds into 4x2 for transportation. I'd like to put together something similar, but track plans are not my forte.

Β 

The trackplan for that particular layout is here:

NewSarumTP.jpg

Β 

Β 

I'm wanting to create a layout set on the East Coast/New England side of the country, and ideally I'd like something that isn't too 'tymesaver' in style. Has anyone got some suggestions for a suitable plan? I have 8ft to play with in total, and I do like the idea of the layout folding in half for transportation and occasional storage.

Β 

Can anyone help me with a design?

I did a Box Street a while ago (still around, it's on shelf brackets in a storage room and operationally is a disconnected branch off my main layout), based on Jack's original design, of which New Sarum is also a child. The main change I made was to substitute two regular switches for the double slip, which actually doesn't cost much in terms of space. It's rare, but not completely unheard of, to have an individual slip switch out in the country in North America -- but as Allen McClelland points out, it's not worth the bother of having to explain that there's a prototype for it on the TP&W at East Blipit.

post-8839-0-21036800-1310826725_thumb.jpg

The dimensions were something like 8 inches by 56 inches, the original dimensions of Jack's design, but it doesn't hinge in the middle. I painted a backdrop that would let it be anywhere from northern New Hampshire to maybe Idaho and various points in between

post-8839-0-00441000-1310826948_thumb.jpg

What I find interesting is that you can actually operate pretty modern stuff, and big stuff too:

post-8839-0-04159800-1310827055_thumb.jpg

I was able to build this almost entirely using leftover bits from my main layout, so it's been a certain amount of fun for very little added expense. Thanks to Jack for his inspiration!

I did a Box Street a while ago (still around, it's on shelf brackets in a storage room and operationally is a disconnected branch off my main layout), based on Jack's original design, of which New Sarum is also a child. ...

...The dimensions were something like 8 inches by 56 inches, the original dimensions of Jack's design, but it doesn't hinge in the middle. I painted a backdrop that would let it be anywhere from northern

New Hampshire to maybe Idaho and various points in between

Β 

Thanks for the pictures, that's a pretty neat setup. I can afford an extra 4 inches width and almost double the length, so perhaps I could have something like your trackplan at one end and then something else at the other end?

Just as one possibility, I think you could do an Inglenook in the remaining space. I've seen some guys use one half the layout as the fiddle for the other half.

Twas I that recently sold New Sarum! I had bought it last year, turned it British and then decided it was just a tad too long for "my room"!

Β 

Great layout to operate though and a real classic track plan.

Β 

Roger

Archived