Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

If you could start again....

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do things....

• More or less the same
    • Different scale
    • Different era
    • I'd spend it on chips and beer

Time rolls on and I've had time to study. I still intend building an LNWR station in the West Riding of Yorkshire but the scenery, locos and track layout wlll be imported from the MR on the S&C and the Peak District. Anyway, Dogs breakfast is easier to pronounce than modellers licence.... :happy_mini:

Guest oldlugger

It's a tough question that. I've tried most of the small scales up to 7mm and I like them all in different ways. P4 is great and I'd suggest anyone with a few years modelling experience to give it a go, but it is very labour and time intensive, unlike some of the other scales I've tried. I think I would try P4 again with a much larger layout and a totally different area/region; possibly somewhere up north with 0-8-0's and colliery lines. Alternatively, if I had the money, I would build a large HOe Swiss rack railway with scratch built rack points and working fine scale catenary; or an atmospheric HOe Sachsen narrow gauge steam railway in a forest area (I have the new Bemo IK 0-6-0 calling out for this) or a very nice European tramway with realistic tram track and fine working overhead. One, maybe two of these might materialise at some stage on a very small scale... watch this space!

That's really got me thinking!

Nice to know I've had an effect on someone's day! To be fair though, I've only been alive for 2 decades!

To add to all that, it is my intention is to replace my tender drive 8F, the first loco from my Granddad and Grandmother with Hornby's newer offering, with the same number, and also some nameplates with my Granddad's name on. Its positioning will be based on that of 'Guage O Guild' 48151. I will of course keep the old loco though! I'm sure its worth more to me than anyone else!

One Christmas I received some under-scale (HO I guess) Mk1s from my parents which came with the wrong couplings, so my dad, who only has a passing interest in railways, replaced them all for me. They ran for a few years as my main Southern set and had a few outings replacing the regular southern set at my club, until I bought a set of Bachmann Bulleids which took over their place in the pecking order. I eventually sold them at a show, along with Hornby's old Maunsell representations. It was quite a difficult decision to do this, but I did get a new Std 5 and a set of Hornby's new Maunsells with the money raised.

Selling my Hogwarts Express set was quite difficult too - and I bought that for myself! If the loco were really a Hall I think I would have kept it to this day, but sadly Hornby's old castle didn't really cut it for me.

I can see why it would seem quite odd that I look at my collection in this way, but I really do think its down to my subconscious thinking that all these items have a personality as the Rev Awdry would have me believe!

I am only going to do one layout ( the one I am working on). When it is finished or we have to move, I intend giving the lot to charity. I came into it by accident, its very addictive, but I feel that it has to be something for me that doesn't travel through the rest of my life. I want to feel that I achieved some modelling ability and learnt a bit about fiddly things - but it must come to an end and free me to move on to new pastures.

• RMweb Gold

Given I have realised that branchlines and shunting is as much fun as a big chunk of main line, I do wonder whether I would restart in OO, or even EM. I would certainly negotiate for a bigger shed. I remember laying out the space in the garden to show my wife and reckon I could have got something 2ft longer and 1ft wider.

• RMweb Gold

Start again? Blimey, it's taken me two years so far just to get my track down, painted and ballasted - and the board's only a 4 by 1!

I'll stick with what I've started for the time being I reckon, and now with my Bachmann single-road shed plonked down alongside freshly-painted Knightwing depot 'junk', the BR blue scene I wanted to (re)create is slowly coming together, which is quite satisfying - and spurs me on further to get the other bits done, like the backscene and fiddle yards. Then I can really begin to play trains - hurrah - and get those locos out of the boxes.

But just in case I do need some distraction, I have waiting in the wings a little 5.5mm scale narrow gauge project - am hoping my upcoming birthday will bring me a couple of Peco 0-16.5 wagon chassis kits and some track to allow me to make a start on this, simply for those times when nostalgia for Edwardian 3-foot gauge overpowers my efforts to recreate a slice of the Midlands from my youth...

Well, with model railways you can have your cake and eat it.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last 8 years building a rural (somewhere in the North) 10 x 9 layout and just about got it finished. So now it's time to start again...

So what am I doing? ...

Well, this time it's a 16 x 12 rural (S & C derivative) layout, in a garage conversion I'm currently working on. DCC as previously, but this time code 75, much more operational potential and, hopefully, a bit more prototypical.

Layout plans drawn up, hard work starts soon.

So yes, a new start. Bet it turns out like the last one - only bigger!!

Jeff.

Archived