Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester and Birmingham in 1946....

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

From memory the 90 service was renumbered to 23 in the big SELNEC service renumbering in the 1970's when the new 90 was a service from Manchester Greengate to Little Hulton, a joint service with LUT. I used that service qutie a lot going to my Aunty in Little Hulton.

Peter

From memory the 90 service was renumbered to 23 in the big SELNEC service renumbering in the 1970's when the new 90 was a service from Manchester Greengate to Little Hulton, a joint service with LUT. Peter

Its quite possible that it became the 423 then, when SELNEC added a third digit in front of routes so there was no duplication across the somewhat wide gepgraphic area they covered! - The list I was using in the RCT book was dated 1974 and the service was still a 90 then.

And just for Derek:(and Larry)

post-6679-0-18440000-1312109179_thumb.jpg

I left Oldham behind in late June 1965. The 59 was a long boring route. One day we were not allowed beyond the Mills Hill boundary because Manchester Corporation men were on strike. We had to lay over and pick up our schedule as if we had been to Manchester and back, so we went rabbitting along by the railway embankment.

A pal of mine, Derek Eastwood, did some filming of Oldham buses circa 1962. He also filmed the 'gang' walking down Yorkshire Street in 1960 as well as filming my wedding the following year. It would be interesting to see that footage now after 50 years but sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I doubt the 90 route became 423 under SELNEC becasue the 4XX series was for parochial routes within Oldham. The 90 was bought fromYelloway. I'm not sure if Rochdale gave the number 90 to the route. Maybe SELNEC or GMT gave it a new number (23).

The 23 was the 23 in the 70's, I lived in Chadderton and used to see it going past the stop on Broadway, near Middleton Rd. Never used it as it never stopped, peak hours only if I rember correctly. From there to Manchester you had the option of the 24, 2 (182) or as mentioned before if you wanted a tour of the highlights of Middleton/Nth manchester and Cheetham Hill, the 59!

• RMweb Gold

Having done a little research according to Stewart Brown in Greater Manchester Buses the general renumbering came in 1973, but a friend who lived in Chadderton said it was 1974 which could be when SELNEC became GMT. At this time the 90 was reumbered 23, 2 the 181/182 and 3 the 403.

Numbers 1-299 were Manchester and Salford Routes

300-699 Local Town Services (Oldham was in the 4xx

Prior to this each major town had it's own original service numbers and Salford had their service 90 (Salford to Little Hulton) along side Manchester's 90 and it was not a new service as I thought earlier.

Here is a Metrobus on Service 181 at Newhey termius with me at the wheel on a late turn at Hyde Road Depot. We usually got a phone call in the Schedules Office at Birchfields Road looking for volunteers to do a late shift, I got paid for driving buses! The novelty wore off when I did a stint full time!

post-6784-0-13345600-1312229554_thumb.jpg

Peter

Before Oldham Corp buses carried route No's didn't they carry letters.

I remember the D on Hollinwood ave, New Moston it's terminus was in front of the Tizer depot/works/offices. When waiting for the workers from Avroe's it was never allowed into the bus station opposite the works like the Manchester Corp buses

I remember the D on Hollinwood ave, New Moston it's terminus was in front of the Tizer depot/works/offices. When waiting for the workers from Avroe's it was never allowed into the bus station opposite the works like the Manchester Corp buses

I think the letters lasted almost to the end of Oldham Corporation Tranport Department's separate existence; I can certainly recall the V service to Holts as late as 1967, and the O,T, & S (Hollinwood to Lees County End, Grotton, and Stamford Road, Waterhead, which was which, I can't now remember) certainly lasted for longer. There was also the M to Middleton, G to Alt(?), and where did the B go to? Coach?

There was also the M to Middleton, G to Alt(?), and where did the B go to? Coach?

Middleton was route 12.

A bus did Greenacres-Chapel Road. When I started Werneth School in 1947 it went via Chamber road off Ashton Road.

B bus orginally was Derker-Booth Hill. It later served the new Fitton Hill estate and went to Middleton Junction.

C route to Middleton Junction (under the low railway bridge) using one of the Crossley singl deckers. (I worked this for a week every 31 weeks!)

D was Rhodes Bank-Moston Greengate. It wasnt allowed in Avro's bus park until the mid 1960s.

E Single deck route Oldham town Hall to Mossley Brookbottom

F Shore Edge to Royton Town Hall. (I did this Boxing day 1963 with Sam Basford)

G replaced the 20 to Holts Estate in 1956. When Holts took the circular route V and 4, the G reverted to Abbeyhills/Alt .

H Market Place to Denshaw. (Passengers had to alight before we crossed a Bailey Bridge after the flood 1962???)

M was a short working of the Ashton-Rochdale and went from Hathershaw to Summit.

N Town Hall to Stalybridge (A Sunday afternoon working for Oldham which I did one round trip every 31 weeks). SHMD had it during the week and Ashton on Saturdays.

0 Hollinwood-Lees County End. Also Stamford Road (Den Lane).

T Hollinwood-Grotton

S was a short working from Hollins School to Clarksfield Road. (I caught this regularly when at Hollins Seconday Modern 1953-55. Usualy an ancient prewar Leyland)

V Glodwick Circular clockwise (Usually a Crossley DD42)........4 Glodwick circular anti-clockwise (Usualy a Daimler CVD6)

X Garage.......Could only be used within the Oldham boundies. Example : We used 34 Oldham from Stevenson Square then X Garage from Hollinwood.

As I recall (as a Shaw gawbie born and bred) the F was normally a single deck route as well Coach?

It was. The postwar Crossley SD42 saloons were bought for these jobs. Some had husband (driver) & wife (Clippie) working them. Intended for the superannuated types in the 1960s.

Andy, Was that 59 bus taken behind Oldham garage?

Andy, Was that 59 bus taken behind Oldham garage?

It was taken at the Boyle Street bus museum in May - couldnt beleive my luck to see it parked outside with 59 to Wrens Nest up on it - another nostalgic wallow there, my dad was the factory manager at the Hawk Mill at the side of the bus terminus there! - Hence the Hawk Mill Lancashire Cotton Corporation packing cases that have been a feature of the goods yard on New Hey!

Now whilst on the subject of the LCC has anyone got any (colour) pictures of a LCC Lorry!!

Has anybody got any photos of Hollinwood Avenue with the 'buzzes' lined up waiting for Avro's workers to come out. ??

They used to line up from the Gardner's Arms to Moston Station

From memory mostly Oldham, but Rochdale and Ashton buses were there every week day at finishing time.

The Manchester buses (including trolley buses) were on Avro's own bus park on Greengate.

Has anybody got any photos of Hollinwood Avenue with the 'buzzes' lined up waiting for Avro's workers to come out. ??

Route 22 used to be letter D and I think these buses are waiting for the workers.The middle bus is in Pommard & Cream, which doesn't look any different to the crimson lake in this shot. Photo by my old friend Derek Eastwood.

post-6680-0-04300800-1312285613_thumb.jpg

One of the Metro-Cammell Leyland PD2/20's No. 376, known to enthusiasts as 'loaf tins' and to bus guards as 'bouncy buses'. They introduced the 'tin front' to Oldham but their bodies were of lightweight construction with no interior panels and were pared down to 7 tons. They were cold in winter and hot in summer, but the worst part was they bounced even on a newly laid road surface. It was a rapid bounce bordering on a slow vibration and it could cause stomache ache or even sickness when stood on the open platform. New in January 1955, they were the only 'modern' buses to be used only during the rush hour by the early 1960s. If sent out on all-day service, the crew would be ringing for a changeover as soon as they neared the garage again! This one has worked a rush hour Oldham to Manchester and back limited stop servie before being dumped back in the garage.

post-6680-0-35021900-1312287632_thumb.jpg

Also in view are two PD1's dating from 1947 and one from 1948.

Route 22 used to be letter D and I think these buses are waiting for the workers.The middle bus is in Pommard & Cream, which doesn't look any different to the crimson lake in this shot. Photo by my old friend Derek Eastwood.

post-6680-0-04300800-1312285613_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Looks to be quite a late Oldham or even early SELNEC picture, the metal Fleet Number was post 1964, and number 22 no room for the 422

Taken on Greengate outside the factory main entrance.?

Edit Route Numbers changed from Alphabetical to Numeric in 1968

Edited by DerekEm8

John,

Digressing slightly.

The old Tizer works on Hollinwood Avenue appears to have an interisting history. On old ordnance survey maps (early 1920s version) show strange railway sidings and buildings on the site of the now Broadway Business park (was formerly Slacks valley Power Station) and buildings on the other side of the railway near what is now Gardners Arms/Hollinwood Avenue. The Oldham Chronicle a few years ago had an article which stated that an aircraft assembly plant was set up in the middle of WW 1 to assemble and deliver aircraft kits delivered from the USA. The war finished before any aircraft were completed. I can remember playing as a kid on the old Power station area and wondering what all the areas of concrete and drainage troughs were for, we thought they were for AVROS but of course they didnt arrive until the mid 1930s.

The old Tizer building appear to be some of the old buildings.

John,

Digressing slightly.

The old Tizer works on Hollinwood Avenue appears to have an interisting history. On old ordnance survey maps (early 1920s version) show strange railway sidings and buildings on the site of the now Broadway Business park (was formerly Slacks valley Power Station) and buildings on the other side of the railway near what is now Gardners Arms/Hollinwood Avenue. The Oldham Chronicle a few years ago had an article which stated that an aircraft assembly plant was set up in the middle of WW 1 to assemble and deliver aircraft kits delivered from the USA. The war finished before any aircraft were completed. I can remember playing as a kid on the old Power station area and wondering what all the areas of concrete and drainage troughs were for, we thought they were for AVROS but of course they didnt arrive until the mid 1930s.

The old Tizer building appear to be some of the old buildings.

When I last went down Hollinwood Ave, (not long ago) the old Tizer site was still in use by the company that took over the brand Barrs think it must be offices/distribution point. Shows up on Google earth and the childrens nursery next to it used to be a fishing tackle shop ( Pooles I think ), Accross the road used to be a bike shop that also sold Airfix models, think I bought most of the railway ones from there.