Small shunting yard

standardblue

Hi All,

I'd like a little advice from those with more experience than me! I'm planning a small shunting layout, the photo attached shows the concept of what my thoughts are, after some playing around (the track when build will be a lined up a bit better though!). The scenic section will be in two boxfiles, with the headshunt/fiddle area off the scene to the side to the right (either a 3rd boxfile, or an offcut of wood). My thoughts are to use the 3-way and Y Peco code 100 points to save space.

The line off to the right below the main headshunt will be into a shed (possibly - good scenic break) and off-scene. (I realise this will trap the loco in - but I can hand-shunt-release in the fiddle area!) It will be set sometime in a 60's-80's/90's era, as generic 'industrial' scene with additional artistic licence - basically somewhere to let me shunt around the slightly eclectic mix of wagons I've been building! Motive power will be a small 4 or 6 wheel diesel shunter (probably Hornby 06, modified Bachman Rusty)and good old DC. Track will be Peco flexi code 100, not the old bits of settrack in the photo!

What are anyones thoughts? My space is limited, hence the use of boxfiles and no 5+3+3 Inglenookery, but by restricting the available length of the sidings (with unused wagons), I should be able to use it as 3+2+2 Inglenook.

Thanks!

Mark

post-3175-0-43659300-1311442155_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don, thanks for your reply.

Another boxfile as the headshunt will give enough space for 2 wagons and the loco. That's the right length for a 3+2+2 Inglenook to 'work' as it lets you completely empty the shorter sidings. (http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/inglenook-trackplan.html) Although, I may still go with a plank of the same length - whichever is easier when I get to that part of the construction...

The lower line off at the bottom could be used with a second loco to strategically remove wagons (or cheat!) if the shunting gets too difficult. (Or add them if it's too easy!)

Boxfiles have now been acquired, so the butchery has started. Should have the points soon, too.

Lord E - thanks, good luck with yours too. It might be fun to exhibit, but that's assuming it gets finished first!

Mark

Archived