Street running, circus train AND gensets, oh my!

CraigZ

From my friend Craig Walker in California, some pix I thought you'd like to see:

Today (July 24th), the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus moved most of their cars to Anaheim (the animal cars and flats will move later this evening). Mid-day in July isn't an ideal time to shoot, but fortunately the street running they would be encountering run both east-west (Santa Ana Street) and also north-south (Olive Street). So, figuring the light would be best on Olive, I headed over there to catch the train:

Hot on the heels of this train were the switchers that would assist with placing these cars on the appropriate tracks at South Anaheim, just north of Katella Avenue:

Thanks Craig - some great photos.

Like circus trains? I hate circus' and am freaking scared of clowns - from an early childhood experience in London when I saw a clown bury a hatchett into another clowns head......

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

I've had a go at compressing some of what seem to be key Anaheim scenes into my loft space:

post-7346-0-96389800-1315077061.jpg

Clockwise from top left, we have the Anaheim wye, where the road power off the Anaheim hauler stables, the bridge over the freeway curving onto Santa Ana Street, then up the middle of Santa Ana street until we curve through the lumber yard into South Olive street, finally disappearing into the maze of industries south of there.

Much artistic licence involved, but might work?

:jester:

(OK, I know its not really a clown, but it was the closest I could find.)

The long edge on my plan is 20ft - and width overall is about 7ft 6, although I can probably squeeze a few more inches out of the loft space if I compromise on a low back-scene.

The next run of Atlas Gensets includes #2720, one of the pair seen chasing the circus train down South Olive Street :whistle:

• RMweb Gold

By the way Phil, When's Haston going to make its next outing up here? I'm itching to give my GP7 a run.

Hi Jon,

As yet not many exhibition managers are aware it's now up here.

Have to get Modelrail sorted and the layout that's going first.

Edinburgh - Southside is to attend and it's still being built!

Thanks

:jester:

(OK, I know its not really a clown, but it was the closest I could find.)

The long edge on my plan is 20ft - and width overall is about 7ft 6, although I can probably squeeze a few more inches out of the loft space if I compromise on a low back-scene.

The next run of Atlas Gensets includes #2720, one of the pair seen chasing the circus train down South Olive Street :whistle:

Dear Jon,

If you're running Gensets on the Anaheim Hauler, then it sounds like you might be looking for a UPY CCRCL "Sled" at some stage in the near future?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Hi Prof,

Atlas B23-7 in Southern Pacific livery on order to be the donor. The Atlas model is even the right phase (I think) for UPY162 which I've seen photos of at Anaheim

Dear Jon,

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, but if you insist...

CCRCL_01_040911.jpg

CCRCL_Rear_040911.jpg CCRCL_Front_040911.jpg

The cab is temporarily out-of-place, and the plow isn't permanently mounted yet.

The couplers are temporary, and the rear MU cables are not yet installed.

Missing are the various decals and stripes, and there's still some debate as to whether to keep it "clean" or to do it with a hoodful of grafitti as one might expect in the "concrete jungle" of LA...

http://www.railpictu...d=224447&nseq=0

http://www.railpictu...d=168076&nseq=2

Oh, and the argument in my head as to whether I should just wire the onboard lighting (head/tail lights + dual rooftop beacons) for analog,

(requires some minor circuit building),

or wire it up with a TCS FL4 4-function lighting decoder or similar,

doesn't seem like it's going to let up in the near future...

The scary thing? I got keen to build the model because I was interested in modelling remote ops, but I have no specific "home" for this to live once it's done...

(I was intrigued by the idea of sandwiching this between 2x SP or UP/ex-SP SW1500s, as was done before the Gensets took over,

with an animated figured on the ground with the belly pack turning L<>R as the switching move shuttled past... :-) )

BTW, this started life as a BN B23-7 from B'mann,

(it was a bargain at a 2nd hand stall at a recent show),

has had the mech bits removed,

(remember, the Sleds aren't "slugs" in the true sense, so no actual drive capability)

tweaked details (Inc some Atlas B23 "spare parts" c/o soo-much-stuff, an Atlas Parts seller on eBay),

some heavy dremel-ing to the frame to jettison the fueltank,

and put it back together...

Now, where'd that cat go?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived