The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

need help identifying medal ribbon

Leicester Thumper

Many years ago when me dad was young and was working on a contracted job as a young electrician in an abandoned house/hall thingy (was being redeveloped) he came across a medal ribbon and put it in his pocket, just the ribbon no medal.

he was going to find out what it was but we never did, and its sat in its little plastic case ever since in the antiques cabinet.

I'm struggling to find it on any medal website, thought i would ask here as it is really driving my head in and usually one of you chaps and ladies knows something about something (if that makes sense!)

I haven't got a picture but it is a simple description.

there are five colour sections to it from left to right: Blue, Silver, red, Silver, blue. the blue is fairly small on each end, the silver is quite large and the red is very thin indeed.

I did used to use a website which i could identify from i think you dobbed in the colours and it spat out the results... but cant find it??? google isn;t my friend tonight!!! lol

if any of you guys could help that would be wonderful as it would stop my headache, haha ;)

• RMweb Gold

Its possible that this is from the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross which fits the description, but was only instituted in 1993?

Edit (though having done some looking the silver would be white on the CGC..........

Trouble with the Queens is that it is modern, not WW1 period. ,it may be the ribbon was earned abroad, there are US medals with the combination of colours, but thee are few with the thin red strip in the middle.

The word Stirling is unusual for a UK silver item,it should be properly hallmarked, maybe indicating a foreign ribbon. Where are the letters RFC ?, which could be Royal Flying Corp, but technically the medals issued were Army Ribbons for the RFC, before the Royal Air Force gained their own identity.

The Imperial War Museum may be able to help with more exact identification..

Stephen.

As it is cased, with glass, rather than a support ribbon for a medal, it may be a memento using a tie etc., as a ribbon, perhaps attached to a cup or a plaque at one time, not actually a medal ribbon as such.

Stephen.

The word Stirling is unusual for a UK silver item,it should be properly hallmarked, maybe indicating a foreign ribbon. Where are the letters RFC ?, which could be Royal Flying Corp, but technically the medals issued were Army Ribbons for the RFC, before the Royal Air Force gained their own identity.

The Imperial War Museum may be able to help with more exact identification..

Stephen.

that one is my mistake mate, there's a company name which i'll try and read but i think the company who made the ribbon or the casing were in Stirling.

Try asking on the 'Great War Forum' you might well get an answer in minutes!

Okies will do, had ventured across that and am contemplating joining :)

• RMweb Gold

"Sterling" is the silver mark, not "Stirling" as in this case.

RAF Squadron 43 was founded in Stirling in 1916. A month later, 150 men from the Royal Flying Corps detachment was stationed in Stirling. They were quickly made to feel at home and were provided with a "sumptuous tea, served by the young ladies of the congregation, which was followed by an excellent concert programme". Subsequently, the Stirling Observer was proffering the "whirring flying machines" as tourist attractions for visitors from districts where flying machines are seldom or never seen.

Given this extract and the tie and the recruiting flag, I guess you may have a memento of the early days of the Corps.