Bachmann Dynamis wireless receiver extensions

Andy1963

I am using the Bachmann Dynamis with pro box. My layout runs through 3 rooms and I want to have a wireless receiver in each room. I have purchased 2 of these which come with an extension lead to link them back to the pro box. My problem is that the extension leads are not long enough for my needs. They appear to use 6 wires, does anyone know if there is any reason why I cannot extend these leads using say, telephone extension cable?

I also have a question regarding Dynamis:

My layout is already wired up through various physically 'narrow' openings from my existing Dynamis module. I notice that, according to Bachmann's manual, if I add the Probox I have to feed through another connection to the track. Is it possible to use a common pair of wires from both boxes to the track, i.e. use my existing wiring? I can isolate different sections of track on the layout if I need a separate line for 'Service' mode programming. If I need to feed another pair of wires it will prevent me from buying the probox.

Any advice gratefully received.

Paul.

The command module stacks on top of the pro box, connecting using inbuilt plug and socket and uses the same track connection to operate both via the pro box.you do need a seperate pair of wires from the programming track to the command station , but is that a reason not to buy it?!!. Mine is two wires to a small length of isolated track on an out of the way part of the layout.When programming,the power to the layout is cut,and the programming track becomes active long enougth for the programming to take place. when finished power is automatically restored to the layout. Nice and easy.

Bachmann confirm you can extend the wireless receiver cables using suitable 6 core cable although they did not recommend using telephone cable as they say each core is usually a solid single strand conductor. I've just purchased 6 core alarm cable from Ebay for £1.65 per 5m length.

The command module stacks on top of the pro box, connecting using inbuilt plug and socket and uses the same track connection to operate both via the pro box.you do need a seperate pair of wires from the programming track to the command station , but is that a reason not to buy it?!!. Mine is two wires to a small length of isolated track on an out of the way part of the layout.When programming,the power to the layout is cut,and the programming track becomes active long enougth for the programming to take place. when finished power is automatically restored to the layout. Nice and easy.

Yes, it is a reason to not buy it, because the command station is situated on a concrete pillar above the layout to enable it to receive a decent signal (we all know about the signal problems with dynamis) and the routing of the cable will not allow two more wires through a concrete pillar!

Perhaps I'll see if there's room for a switch between the two outlets that should overcome the problem.

• RMweb Gold

I know very little about the Dynamis system but looking through the information on the Bachmann site it seems to me that the track feed from the Command Station is transferred to the Pro Box track output connections and the track output on the Command Station becomes the programming track feed which will need to connect to an isolated length of track for programming your locos. So if you situate that programming track where the command station is will it still be necessary to try to pass wires through the concrete pillar?

Geoff

Yes, it is a reason to not buy it, because the command station is situated on a concrete pillar above the layout to enable it to receive a decent signal (we all know about the signal problems with dynamis) and the routing of the cable will not allow two more wires through a concrete pillar!

Perhaps I'll see if there's room for a switch between the two outlets that should overcome the problem.

I know very little about the Dynamis system but looking through the information on the Bachmann site it seems to me that the track feed from the Command Station is transferred to the Pro Box track output connections and the track output on the Command Station becomes the programming track feed which will need to connect to an isolated length of track for programming your locos. So if you situate that programming track where the command station is will it still be necessary to try to pass wires through the concrete pillar?

Geoff

Thanks everybody for your kind advice. The Probox instructions specifically state that a separate feed is required from it to the layout, and the existing Command Station feed then just goes to the Service Track. Unfortunately the position of the command station relative to the layout prevents adding another separate track for programming. By using one existing siding and switching off all other track feeds, I already have the facility to programme CVs from the command station. I don't think it is worth the hastle to relay track and find a way of re-routing wires to add a probox just to be able to read CVs as well! I know it allows me to also extend the system, but it really isn't worth it.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Archived