How to clean a cheap airbrush..?

Guest baldrick25

Guest baldrick25

Just been spraying some deep green Tamiya acrylic, using one of the 'cheap' airbrushes- you know the one , glass bottle hanging down, and meant originally to be worked off spray cans of air.

Green is one of those colours that just spreads and contaminates everything it touches, so didn't want to use the pucker dual action thingy, after all it was only a few bits of Peco girder bridge , that is going to be weathered etc, so I didn't need the perfect finish.

To spray , I just hold the Tamiya acrylic paint bottle under the airbrush , and go. I use the glass spray unit container to hold a small amount of acetone, which , as soon as I finish with paint , its straight onto cleaner, and onto sheets of newspaper on the side of the spray box.

Well as I said, dark green pigment gets everywhere , so its into the sink of hand-hot water and washing up liquid, and a good 'poke around' with a plastic nailbrush.

I was wondering if these things can be dismantled, and how its done such that I can re-assemble it afterwards. Looks like you start at the clearance fit metal part where the glass bottle pushes into - but just which bit do I twist- presumably with pliers as there are no nut faces to attack.

Anyone attempted to clean these things or do I leave well alone and rely on the washing up water regime?

Archived