Colour variation in printing

I am using parts of the R013-TX01-OO on my 2011 Challenge.

I have printed satisfactorily the brickwork pages recently, but on printing again today I am getting a faded green colouring instead of the Red brick, from both files. This happened as one of the inks (Magenta) was running low and others were obviously low also, so I replaced all the colour cartridges. Same green colour obtained.

I also have R014-TX01-00 so I tried a brickwork page from that and got the same green clouring.

Check of the printer nozzles and print pattern is OK.

A print of a colour photograph is OK also.

I'm using a Canon PIXMA IP3000 with generic inks.

Any advice or clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Could the file(s) be corrupted?

Hi Don

If the artwork opens and looks ok on your screen then I think you can rule out corrupted files. I suspect that the problem is still with the Magenta nozzle on the print head. If this colour ran out it is likely that dried ink is partially blocking the nozzle and preventing the new cartridge from working properly. What was the photograph you printed? did it contain a good spread of colours? The peculiarity of Scalescenes files is that they use a large amount of the same colour and this calls for a very high ink flow which can reveal problems that don't show up in printed photographs that have more colour variation. Have a look at your Scalescenes print and study the first bit to be printed, is it uniformly greenish or is the first bit nearer being the correct colour and then fading into green? If so, it is definitely a blocked nozzle problem.

I hope this helps.

Adrian

Hi Don

You mention you are using generic inks. I have had a couple of disappointing forays into the world of "saving" a few quid on non-branded cartridges and won't touch them now. I would suggest it may be worth investing in genuine Canon inks and see whether that solves your problem.

ATB

Phil

Hi Don

This sounds a bit strange - the image is appearing on your screen correctly, a printer test shows that the heads are aligned OK and the test print pattern is fine as well? Also a photo prints out with the full colour range?

I have had a quick look on the Interwebby to see if I could track down a link to a colour test chart that you maybe download and print to test your printer but drew a blank. However the following website might be of use-:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4870867_diagnose-canon-printer-problems.html

The Canon Specific Issue section points 3 & 4 might be worth trying if you feel brave enough.

I did have a similar problem on a previous Epsom (albeit that every print had a distinct colour cast) and used the same water technique which resolved it. Your only need a drop, literally. I used an eyedropper!

I would also second Phil's remarks as to generic ink cartridges, I tried some several years ago and the colour balance was out, also the prints faded noticably within a year.

Good luck and I hope you manage to resolve your problem

regards

Eddie

Thanks for those helpful replies.

I find that I have enough "correctly" printed bits to complete the work in hand, so pressure is off! However I did a couple of "Deep Clean" processes (a Canon Term) without noticable improvement.

This printer is very lightly used, sometimes 2 weeks or more without being switched on.....Probably has a bearing on the problem.

Print test pattern is OK, and another colour photo printed OK, (A grey, overcast day in Oslo up at the ski-jump site, scene of Eddy-the-Eagle's triumph !)

The Scalescenes screen preview is as expected, so it does seem to be a printer problem, and I'll have a look at Eddie's link tomorrow, (SWMBO permitting!), and going to Comet & Currys this W/E anyway so I'll get some inks then.

This is now well away from the Scalescenes theme, so if I can't improve the beast I'll ask the question elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks again, all been very helpful.

Hi Don

Thanks for your kind response.

Just a futher couple of ideas:-

"This printer is very lightly used, sometimes 2 weeks or more without being switched on.....Probably has a bearing on the problem.

My very own SWMBO also didn't (doesn't) use her own printer for weeks on end and then complains to me when it doesn't work correctly...

When I opened the printer case, as in removing several screws and taking it to bits (not recommended!) the insides were layers thick with dust. After cleaning it out she now covers said printer with a carrier bag when not in use to stop dust etc getting into it.

Also make sure that once you are finished printing that you power the printer off from its power switch rather than maybe just killing the mains supply at the socket(?) This allows the cartdriges to go to their 'sleep position' and stops the ink drying out in the print heads. OK this is for Espoms but might be valid for other Inkjet printers.

Print test pattern is OK, and another colour photo printed OK, (A grey, overcast day in Oslo up at the ski-jump site, scene of Eddy-the-Eagle's triumph !)"...

"A grey overcast day..." Maybe not much chance for much Magenta ink so any deficiancy might not show up to the same extent as in the brickwork?

Kind regards

Eddie

• RMweb Premium

The Scalescenes screen preview is as expected, so it does seem to be a printer problem, and I'll have a look at Eddie's link tomorrow, (SWMBO permitting!), and going to Comet & Currys this W/E anyway so I'll get some inks then.

Prepare to take out a second mortgage if you're buying Epson ink from those establishments!

I've not had problems with compatibles for my Epsons from this outfit:-

http://www.internet-ink.co.uk/epson-ink-cartridges/

I buy my Epsom inks from my local Staples (office supply store). A multipack is usually in the region of around £7 cheaper than from PC World/Dixons/Currys. I haven't compared prices of other manufacturers inks though so I don't know what the difference is on Canon inks.

If you want to check prices and see if there is a store near you try;-

www.staples.co.uk

(Usual disclaimer as regards having no connection with them other than as a customer)

Archived