Bachmann Seacows

Tim Hale

Hi,

I believe that if the earlier pattern of BR(S) ballast hopper is needed, then the Bachmann version represents the riveted 40t type that originated in the early 60's (maybe even earlier).

One variant offered by Bachmann is sans roof shelter and (I think) the closest to the early type, this model is offered in olive with TOPS markings- am I correct in the assumption that it merely needs a blow-over in black and re-lettering to complete the back-date?

Finally, was eight 40t hoppers the maximum load for light pacifics passing eastwards through Exeter, possibly six 40t hoppers for the N's? The source for this assumption was Waterloo-Exeter Heyday - Mike Esau.

Tim

Hi,

I believe that if the earlier pattern of BR(S) ballast hopper is needed, then the Bachmann version represents the riveted 40t type that originated in the early 60's (maybe even earlier).

One variant offered by Bachmann is sans roof shelter and (I think) the closest to the early type, this model is offered in olive with TOPS markings- am I correct in the assumption that it merely needs a blow-over in black and re-lettering to complete the back-date?

Finally, was eight 40t hoppers the maximum load for light pacifics passing eastwards through Exeter, possibly six 40t hoppers for the N's? The source for this assumption was Waterloo-Exeter Heyday - Mike Esau.

Tim

The Bachmann Seacows are derived from the Walrus design, itself originating with the LSWR at the very beginning of the 20th century. If you are considering modifying the Bachmann ones, then you need to look at the bogies- the Walrus had plate-frame bogies, of a design of GWR origin.

It may be worth having a look at the Cambrian range; apart from the Walrus, they do two types of ex-SR design. These are the original 1928 type (with hopper-control wheels at one end, and diamond-frame bogies) and the 1947 type ( with AAR cast bogies). The 1928 type survived into the 1960s, with some examples being sold to NIR, where they lasted until about ten years ago.

Cambrian kits now have one-piece moulded bogies in most cases- the bogies were the Achilles' Heel of their earlier ones.

They are also bringing out the SR 'Borail' in several versions.

Here's a link to their site:-

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html

Brian

Brain,

If you are considering modifying the Bachmann ones, then you need to look at the bogies- the Walrus had plate-frame bogies, of a design of GWR origin.

No more than re-lettering and repaint, I am quite happy to run the BR-built version.

Tim

• 1 year later...

Phil / Tim,

My understanding is that the Bachmann model represents the Lots built in 1971, whereas the Hornby model represents the later welded constuction from 1981.

Unfortunately, I am not sure as to what design changes were made between earlier prototypes and the ones constructed in 1971.

The Walrus wagons are longer and I am sure that someone, probably Cambrian, makes a kit.

Regards

David

Archived