Material for coating Scenery

Giles

I thought it would be useful to let people know about a really good material that is eminently suitable for scenic modelling. It is something called IDENDEN BRUSHCOAT. We use it extensively in theatre for creating texture on sets, and stage floors. It's thixotropic, water based, and you can mix emulsion paint in it to create a base colour. You can brush it on thinly, or trowel it on fairly thickly and brush the surface or whatever you want.

Being a PVA type base, it dries flexible (and therefore crack proof), will take paint, and will stick to more or less anything. You can add fillers (such as vermiculite), and very often it will be used in conjuction with carved expanded polystyrene to create lumps, bumps, rocks etc, or even stencilled onto flats to create brickwork...... It is often used to scrim scenery or props as well (used in conjuction with butter muslin or similar to give a reinforced shell - just like we do with our scenery anyway).

It's a really good substance - but I think you can only get it in 10Ltr tubs.

It can be got from various places, but one place in London is FLINT HIRE and SUPPLY http://www.flints.co...and_fillers.pdf who also do some interesting alternatives that might be of interest.

It would be a good wheeze for someone to buy a few tubs and decant it to sell in a smaller volume to modellers, or, if there was sufficient interest, I could suggest to Flints that they sell in smaller quantities for modellers.....

Archived