Amongst the Hills (Working Title)

Robert

Amongst the Hills (Working Title)

by robert

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Back last July I made this statement in Wheeltappers and Shunters.

I know this is nothing to do with Railway Modelling - but I don't think I can contemplate doing anything with my layout ever again

Thankfully things move on, life goes on and time is a great healer. Now eight months on I have actually started a new project! My son got his first trainset for Christmas and we are now making a start on extending the basic oval into something a little bit more interesting.

Given that this is primarily for my son (honest icon_razz.gif) and something that we can do together over time, we have high hopes of actually getting this one finished (eventually) - something which I haven't yet managed to do. The layout idea comes from the Santona book the "Model Railway Planning and Design Handbook" - purely and simply because the layout caught my eye. It is basically a 6'x4' continuous run with a backscene across the middle to split the layout into two seperate scenes - one passenger, and one industrial freight.

This afternoon was spent constructing the baseboard. The pictures will make it immediately apparent that I am no carpenter - but I am quite pleased with the outcome and it is pretty rigid.

Take one piece of 6'x4' chipboard (Getting this home in the car involved some comedy moments)

IMG_0914.jpg

Add some 2"x1" bracing

IMG_0916.jpg

Next, some blocks were added to attach the legs to

IMG_0917.jpg

Followed by the feet themselves. These are Curry legs from Ikea (Do you have Curry legs? No, it's just the way I walk icon_lol.gif)

IMG_0918.jpg

View of the completed baseboard showing the underside bracing

IMG_0919.jpg

Finally, the finished product. Now we can start think about track laying.

IMG_0920.jpg

Comment posted by artizen on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 am

Which layout out of the book are you hoping to build?

Also, with chipboard, you may need to put in more cross-bracing. If it gets wet or damp, it tends to change shape. Might be a case of either painting or varnishing the timber to repel moisture.

??? posted on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm

artizen wrote:

Which layout out of the book are you hoping to build?

The one entitled "Amongst the Hills"

artizen wrote:

Also, with chipboard, you may need to put in more cross-bracing. If it gets wet or damp, it tends to change shape. Might be a case of either painting or varnishing the timber to repel moisture.

I did think about that - but I reckon it should be Ok because it is going to be indoors in a room where the temperature is reasonably constant, and the environment isn't too damp. I will probably paint the timber though.

??? posted on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 am

About time I did an update on this. Finally got some time to have a play around with the track and I have managed to get the track to go together.

Unfortunately, the track plan in the book didn't go together with the pieces listed - even after several independent efforts from the Gurus in the Layout Planning forum (Here). However, it was pretty close and a couple of lengths of flexitrack solved the problems.

The track isn't pinned down yet - but we ran our first train this morning.

IMG_1131.jpg

Plus, here is an overhead view of the whole layout

IMG_1133.jpg

Comment posted by shortliner on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:44 am

Well done for persevering - I hope you and your sone have many happy hours playing (Sorry - running!) with it

Comment posted by SouthernRegionSteam on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Well done Robert, glad you've finally managed to get your head around the plan - it amazes me that they don't try each trackplan out on a bit of board (non-scenic) just to make sure everything fits! Flexitrack is very good for all those difficult parts in the plan that don't add up - and you can add some nice smooth curves, rather than the sharp radi of the setrack curves if you have a big layout. I assume this will be a combined effort between you both (or will you end up doing all the hard work whilst your son does all the 'testing'.) From what I can see, you will both get a lot out of this and I for one will certainly look forward to any updates.

It looks very good so far - a bit of bracing wouldn't be a bad idea even if room conditions are constant - I've learnt this from past experience!

All the best,

Jam icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by samkiller42 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Looks like a good start, and should allow for some nice movements.

Bring on more updates icon_smile.gif

Sam

??? posted on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Nothing much too much to report on the top of the board - but I have taken the advice of more knowledgeable people than myself and added some more cross bracing underneath. I would hate to see the board warp once the track is laid!

IMG_1136.jpg

I have been running various locomotives around and trying to identify potential places where derailments might occur. Rather pleasingly the biggest locomotive I have (A Bachmann 44) is able to navigate all of the layout without derailing - both quickly and slowly.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the old Hornby 37 I have, which appears to derail with alarming regularity. I wonder if that might be more to do with the loco than the track though. It is ever so light in comparison with the more modern offerings. The same thing seems to happen - the middle axle of the bogie derails on a curve and continues until the next point and then (to quote Thomas the Tank Engine) "Cinders and ashes - I'm off!"

Comment posted by Kenton on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Robert wrote:

Nothing much too much to report on the top of the board - but I have taken the advice of more knowledgeable people than myself and added some more cross bracing underneath. I would hate to see the board warp once the track is laid!

IMG_1136.jpg

Please do not get too upset at the following comment it is intended as constructive.

What you show in that photo is not cross bracing and will have little or more likely no effect other than adding weight.

When crossbracing baseboards the bracing has to go all the way across and typically form a stand alone frame without the addition of the actual board. In the case of those two they would just droop down and so are relying on the board for their position - of course you are trying to make the board rely on the frame.

It is also accepted as the norm to make the frame at 12" or 15" spacing - so on 6 x 4 that would mean 2 or 3 longitudinal and 3 or 4 horizontal braces usually with the shorter horizontal ones providing support for the longitudinal ones.

Other factors do come into play - the thickness and material of the board - the depth of the framing - where and how the board is supported (legs) - the environmental conditions and if the board is likely to be moved about.

??? posted on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm not going to get upset - like I said in my last post I am going to take advice from people more knowledgeable.

The wood which goes half way across the baseboard is not what I have added this time. That was added during the original construction. The new pieces go right across the baseboard and are shown to the left and right of the picture. From what you have said, it might also be worth adding another (one or two) across the other direction.

I was also wondering if some right angle brackets might be worth adding to the point at which the cross braces join the outer frame.

Thanks for the comments - one of my grandfathers was a extremely skilled hobby carpenter, and the other a shipwright carpenter. Unfortunately, none of their skills have rubbed off on me, and they are no longer around to ask!

Comment posted by 1216 025 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:52 am

Hello Robert,

I particularly like your work for the reason that you are determined to introduce your little one to a proper hobby rather than having him hang out with his Xbox or whatever all day. There's certainly nothing wrong with having computers or other related "toys" as part of the things to grow up with - but they should never dominate the daily regime of kids. I did have an early start into computing with a good old Commodore 64 - as I may have mentioned elsewhere before - but never lost my interest in other things, such as model railways, Lego, Fischer-Technik and indeed building plastic kits. This certainly was what I think is a healthy mix of several disciplines to train my mind on.

So - keep it up, you certainly had a good start into your project! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by 18B on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,

the layout plan was one of my favs in the book as well,

how's it coming along?

??? posted on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:12 pm

18B wrote:

how's it coming along?

Not as well as I'd like to be honest! As several people commented on my cross bracing (or lack of it) I had to motivate myself to do that job. I've done it now (pictures to follow) and hopefully I can now concentrate on getting the track fixed down.

Comment posted by 18B on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi Robert

Baseboards are all ways the thing that put meoff right from the start,

I;ve toyed with the idea buying pre made and all sorts of ideas basically,

But you'rs doesn;t look bad, they key points are, how much weight it will have on it? i.e. light scenery and what will the atmospheric conditions be like?

If there's a worry about damp may buy/use a dehumidifire in the room?

I like the track layout and it looks a great representation of the plan in the book, another good thing is it would be perfect for signals in the right place, plenty of people will offer advice at to where they should go,

Crack on, you;ve made a great start.

alex

Comment posted by 18B on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 pm

How much were the Ikea legs?

??? posted on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm

18B wrote:

3??????� per leg - I have just had a look at the Ikea website and they are selling them in the UK at 2 quid a leg.

Not bad considering they can be unscrewed for transport.

Comment posted by s_jay on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Great work Robert,

I myself have those legs on my layout and find they place things at the idea height for younger modellers!

Like other can I say well done for sticking to your plans and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress icon_smile.gif

Comment posted by 18B on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Robert wrote:

18B wrote:

3??????� per leg - I have just had a look at the Ikea website and they are selling them in the UK at 2 quid a leg.

Not bad considering they can be unscrewed for transport.

hi

A big thank you to Robert, went to Ikea and they were indeed only ?�??2 each, so bought six for my work top, excellent icon_clap.gif

Comment posted by Steve with the Hat on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 am

Any updates Rob?

We have similar post construction bracing issues so it would be handy to see how you sorted this out icon_biggrin.gif

cheers

Steve

??? posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 am

I'll try and post an update later on today!

Comment posted by SweeneyTodd on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 pm

i don't think you'll have any bracing issues , it's just that the legs are "Red" in colour that makes people think it's not sturdy .

Funny how easy the human mind can be tricked

Keep the updates coming ...

Shaun .

??? posted on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am

It has been a while since I have posted an update, because to be honest not a lot has happened!

I hope to get this thread ported over to the new site - but in the meantime, here's a couple of pictures of the new cross bracing. This should keep things from sagging or warping!

Not the best photo - the lighting was poor, hence the depth of field issues:

IMG_1312.jpg

A close up of the bracketing:

IMG_1313.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thomas and I made a bit of progress today - it doesn't look like much, but it took us quite a long time!

First of all, we took all the track off of the baseboard:

IMG_1409.png

Then, the entire baseboard was covered with cork:

IMG_1410.png

Then, holes were drilled for the point motors, the track was relaid, tested and then nailed down using Z-gauge track pins. (Which are a tad difficult to see :blink:). We finished as the light was fading and it seemed like a reasonable point to stop. Next job on the list is to commence wiring.

IMG_1412.png

Hi Robert, you will probably find that you need to reach across the layout, to clean track, or remove derailed stock, maybe push a hesitant loco, so my advice would be to keep any scenery to a minimum at the front of the layout. I know someone who has signals and trees at the front of the layout and everytime he has to stretch over to the far side, his elbow sends his coaling stage crashing to the floor, or his clothes get tangled and something breaks or gets bent over to a crazy angle. It's alright if you can walk all the way round your layout and everything is within a short, easy reach, but it's a point worth bearing in mind. Nice track plan, you've got, with plenty of operational interest.

Thanks for the advice - Scenery will probably be kept to a minimum at the front, so the little guy can reach as much as possible easily. Fortunately, there is enough room to get around the layout to the other side, as I plan on having a scenic break across the middle with two different scenes.

We finished off the track feed wiring this afternoon, and it all worked first time.

• 11 months later...

This topic is more than due for an update. I can't believe that I haven't really done anything on the layout for nearly a year. The little guy has been nagging me to get moving, so I was persuaded into the spare room today. Point motors was the next job on the list. Unfortunately, two of the motors needed to be fitted right where there was bracing, and a plate providing support for one of the legs. This was primarily due to bad planning on my part.

I set about cutting a notch out of the brace for one of the motors, and this went quite well. Unfortunately, the other exercise didn't go too well - the plate supporting the leg split quite convincingly whilst I was chiseling the appropriate part out.

Disaster was narrowly averted by a suggestion from Ddolfelin in Early Risers. I set to work with a Stanley knife, and removed the offending plate. Having scoured the cellar for wood of the same size, I ended up having to settle for a two pieces - but the layout will live to fight another day!

Removing the cork underlay - one screw was determined to hide!

IMG_1948.jpg

The newly replaced leg

IMG_1949.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well - this layout was an education, and a lesson learnt...

I should have listened - 6' x 4' layouts don't work!

Too big, too unwieldy and too much for one person.

Amongst the Hills is officially consigned to the "Layouts that could have been - but weren't"

Archived