HELP class 20 lights

farren

• RMweb Gold

how about fitting express lights to a class 20 i did this by having to remove the 21 pin decoder pcb board and hard wireing a chip that was simple enough and the lights do work and the loco still works upto a point. what does happen is that you need to have to put the speed up to half way before it starts to move and acts more like a model from the 1970's then a nice new Bachmann. its been done for about 3 years now and seems to still be working so no damage as been done but i would like to run a pair of 20's but i am not willing to put up with 2 running that bad

What sort of decoder did you put in? Some older decoders don't have Back EMF available and this can affect the starting levels.

Even if the decoder has BEMF. make sure it is turned on.

Also, you could try adjusting CV 2, the starting voltage.

I am ssuming that you haven't already tried these things but if you have then we'll have to come up with some more ideas.

• RMweb Gold

thank s for you help the decoder is a Bachmann one and i don't think it as BEMF as i'am sure that i seem to remamber thinking that all the Bachmann did and the hornbys did not at the time only to find out latter that was not true. so one with BEMF would help you are saying. i am using the Bachmann dynamis systrm which is ok that would not have any thing to do with it would it?

adjusting the cv 2 seems to have had some success still not as good as the other locos but better so a new decoder may call for.

one other thing i take it adjusting one of the cv's would allow two deffrent loco to run together better i do have some double headed trains i just cant things like a black5 and 8f to work as one is all ways faster.

• 1 year later...

I fitted lights to a Bachmann 20.    Ripped out the pcb board as I messed up the soldering on the 21 pin socket.  I installed a cheap trainsave decoder just to get it to work. and I have no issues with slow running. My guess is that you need to adjust the profile of the chip you're using to suit you needs.  I would check out the DCC Questions section of the forum on the particular decoder you have used to see if someone can help.  You will also find information on 'doubling heading' 

Archived