Railmaster

johnd

Has anybody noticed that on the Hornby website they have put the demonstration version of Railmaster for all to down load free.

Alright it limits to using 2 Loco's but it at least gives you chance to try it without bying it. The option is there to by it as well.

Anybody given it a go? I dont have a Hornby elite but im curious to see how well it works (and if its compatible with other dcc locos).

I think Hornby had a good idea in making railmaster- new people might be attracted to the hobby by the cool tech of being able to use your laptop to control trains (ditto for iphone). hopefully it helps remove the image of model railways as being old or low tech.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes bought the full version and have it running on a N-gauge layout and OO end to end layout.

The end to end layout makes it easier to get the locos to a zero position for the next move.

This is the only real problem when relying on timings for everything, on a roundy layout the possibility is to have the loco stop in slightly different positions every time, unless you can stop the loco up to a buffer in a siding which will then be a good stop zero position to work from.

The end to end layout I've tried it on allows me to run locos into the station and then creep them up to the buffer stops so I know I'm working from a set position every time.

It is actually a very good bit of software for the price and it's being improved all of the time, I'm sure at soem point dealers will start to offer discounts for the Elite with Railmaster.

The following two videos show what I managed to do do with the automation programs.:-

This is my N-gauge layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNjRiJe0OM

This is my OO ene to end layout:-

[media=<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CojK7T4I9y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe&gt]

[/media]

So you can use Railmaster with any loco or decoder as it's running via the Elite, but you MUST use the Elite the software will not work with any other controller.

I have used SMD82's for the accessory decoders on the N-gauge layout and Seep point motors with the Hornby accessory decoder on the OO layout.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian

Archived