16mm Test Track

Ref44

• RMweb Premium

My last attempt at a stub turnout didn't give me the standard of running I wanted. Part of the problem was that I got the angles wrong. The other issue was with double flanged wheels and the realisation that 32mm gauge was a tad too wide when using Code 200 rail. A new trial has been started using a small baseboard that had been intended for another project.

post-4945-0-07298700-1312312996_thumb.jpg

The turnout and associated track are in Code 124 flat bottom rail spiked to the sleepers (for ease of adjustment). This has been laid to 32mm gauge, and my Slaters wagons run happily on this. A servo operates the turnout which has the pivoting bar connecting blades and crossing. The siding at front right has been laid with Code 200 rail in chairs. This has been laid to 31mm gauge. The next test will be to make a chaired turnout using the standards from the spiked example. Part of the challenge is trying to find prototype information. The intention is once a suitable wall has been installed behind it that it will provide a backdrop for photos. Ballasting can be relaxing; reducing a lump of slate to small chips with a club hammer is good stree relief.

I am also trying to increase the variety of stock. Attached are pictures of my first two waste wagons

post-4945-0-68342000-1312313542_thumb.jpg post-4945-0-64832900-1312313581_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having got a working turnout using the smaller section rail, the next test was with Code 200 rail. For ease of alteration, the test was done by spiking and gluing Peco rail to a spare length of ply. After some fiddling, I was able to push and pull wagons across the turnout. The rubbish wagon as per prototype has wheels that are free to move on the axles.

post-4945-0-46182000-1313231197_thumb.jpg post-4945-0-47746500-1313231332_thumb.jpg

The next step will be to build a chaired example, once I have produced the chairs that take the rodding that connects the blades and pivotting crossing. These will have to allow for the change of polarity of the crossing.

Does anyone know how the turnouts were timbered? Looking at a variety of pictures, and allowing for a crossing rail that is only 2ft 6inches long, I am wondering if there was a longitudinal timber under the pivoting rail. Some of Boyd's photos don't show a chair on the stock rail where you would expect one with a tranverse timber.

IIRC there is one of these points on display in the Penrhyn Castle museum. Only downside is that you have to pay NT prices to look at it. There will also be others on display at Gilfach Ddu (Llanberis) but most track there seems to be balasted above the sleepers with slate waste.

The other interesting point arrangement that is displayed at both these locations is a crossing that drops into a casting and you physically lift it into place. Might be feasible on a lift, twist, drop motion.

• RMweb Premium

I visited Penrhyn in the mid 90's during a family holiday. Various pictures (non digital) were taken of the narrow gauge exhibits.

As a result of browsing the web I have made a start on a chaired example of a turnout. The bridles for the blades have been represented with cast chairs and plastic sheet. One of the chairs has been modified to provide the pocket for the opertaing rod. The unit seems rigid enough but a test will be needed to see how it lasts when operated a few times. I still need to drill the hole to take the securing pin.

post-4945-0-15442800-1313833362_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The flat bottom rail was lifted, one timber removed and a couple moved. The turnout was relaid using Brandbright rail and mainly Slater's chairs.Some Brandbright cast chairs were modified to provide the chairs on the bridles whch were made of plasticard strips for insulation . One of these had to be remade after it started curling up (reason unknown). The replacement was metal using cigarette paper as insulation.

post-4945-0-39926200-1315039348.jpg post-4945-0-22630000-1315039388.jpg

Wagons have been run through both roads without derailing. The next job is to sort out a new rod to connect the blades andf crossing.

Archived