BRM September 2011

Dicky W

Good afternoon everyone.

Here's what's coming up in the next issue of BRM:

post-1481-0-25233500-1312377729_thumb.jpg

There's also a supplement on 50 years of the 'Deltics' - this was due to contain a section on modelling this iconic class by Jonathan Hughes of this parish. Unfortunately, we had insufficient space in the pages to do this article justice, but fear not - it will be appearing in the pages of BRM very soon!

post-1481-0-23476000-1312377653_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do I get the impression that BRM is the least read of the mags by RMWeb members as it appears to get the least numbers of posts commenting oneach months mags. As to this issue I thought it was OK but still seems to have colour problems with photos of layouts. I wonder if it's do with what Jim on another thread called finishing or is it something to do with printing processs. I do appreciate the lack of "photoshopping" though.

• RMweb Gold

The East Grinstead layout is definitely 'something different' in concept and it's an interesting piece to read but still wonder about the mag in general as it seems to have lost some of its 'punch'; possibly this is because its visual style has been overtaken by changes on the part of the other monthlies?

Picked up my copy yesterday. As usual, quite a bit to read through and useful step-by-steps again. Mike and Alan's comments noted, there probably is something that could be improved in certain areas, although I'd not be able to suggest what. Compared to other mags, such as MR (which I picked up simultaneously), MR has the edge when it comes to initial impact on the shelf and, I'm sorry to say, with quality of images and print... Still, it's nice to see the Deltic supplement and the O gauge models at the end of the mag do look impressive... I'll not comment on mine, but the colours of my pics look ok to me (still).

Perhaps BRM needs a bigger exposure on RMweb..? I'm sure that suggestions for areas of improvement might be welcomed, if they can be accomodated and considered feasible ... continuous improvements to this hobby (and all that) are surely a stable of this forum.

In addition to their mag, there's a lot more on their website... some of which might normally only be in the mag... possibly worth reading the two in conjunction.

Jon

[Edit - I've crossed out some of the text as it's not relevant to this thread, which is about BRM Sept 2011. Mod(s), please remove altogether if considered inappropriate.]

Jon, I feel the pics for the Gore Dale layout look almost over exposed with the greens becoming very wishy washy, whilst the greens and reds on the East Grinstead layout seem too bright. The odd thing is that the pics in the weathering articles look OK to me.

Jon, I feel the pics for the Gore Dale layout look almost over exposed with the greens becoming very wishy washy, whilst the greens and reds on the East Grinstead layout seem too bright. The odd thing is that the pics in the weathering articles look OK to me.

Alan,

I think that this topic has been discussed before. I think that there is some diffference in the printing process used by BRM, the overall effect (when comparing like-with-like, such as a gaugemaster or hattons advertisement) is that the BRM saturation is greater, giving a deeper colous and darker image. For some elements this works, but for others I agree that it detracts from the result. There is also a paper difference; the BRM pages seem heavier weight than those of other mags, e.g. Model Rail, and I suspect that this will make more than a little difference to the ink grab. However, these are geneic issues and not any that detract overall from the result.

When I look at the articles you mention, I can't help but think that the colours presented are not a result of the reproduction process (as this would effect the handling of all colours) but rather than part of the photographic process. The Gore Dale Richmond branch article images do appear a little "unsaturated" in the greens, but this looks like an effect caused by the lightign used. The main opening picture of Richmond station has some very bright yellow illiumination on the face of the nearest building, whereas the station buildings are in a more neutrally illuminated. I would image a light source near the camera.... maybe of the sodium type, and then little attempt to counteract with white balance correction afterwards - this is why I try to always shoot any "proper" images in RAW rather tnan JPG format... so that the WB can be easily and accurately corrrected. So, I do not think we could blame the printing on this colour represntation.

The light for the East Grinstead Town article looks more natural, and yes the greens on the locos do look "vivid", but given that the other photos with the "brown" locos look very reasonable (to me), I would guess that the locos are indeed a very vivid Green... although it is possible that the "slightly dark" printing evident in the mag has enhanced this a little.

The other articles look fine to me.

Archived